Featured Help / Info sought: This antique was sold 25 years ago as a "400 year old Chinese Bench." Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by COGNOMAN, Jan 29, 2023.

1. COGNOMAN

COGNOMAN New Member

We know nothing else about it. And we can't read the writings on the underside. It would be great to learn what that writing says! Thanks in advance for any help provided!

bench 1.jpg

Bench 2.jpg

Bench 3.jpg

Bench 4.jpg

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I enlarged your photos so we can see them better.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

See you are not getting replies. I am not a Chinese furniture expert but will give it a go. Looks to be an altar bench or table with some age to it. Hard to say how old, as these have been made much the same for hundreds of years. The extra thick top on yours seems a bit out of character and these usually has a piece at each end to give an up-tured look. I also wonder if yours might have been cut down a little. For what it is worth, the one I found that is most similar to yours, is brand new.... (I don't think yours is new).

[​IMG]

Oriental altar tables hand carved Chinese Ming style , 60" Wide - Oriental Furniture Warehouse: Chinese & Asian Styles (orientalfurnishings.com)

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That is interesting!

Boland and pearlsnblume like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted