Help, is this a painting, print, dutch, german?

Discussion in 'Art' started by SUPERJUNK1970, Jan 26, 2021.

1. SUPERJUNK1970

SUPERJUNK1970 Active Member

Garage SALE FIND.
    It looks like a print BUT in close vie you can see like paint and some parts pop more than others like 3d.
    I dont see ANY SIGNATURE but the water fountain looks a little LIKE durer AD MARK. Its glued to some backing. What do you think? 20210125_233643-ccfopt.jpg 20210125_233643-ccfopt.jpg 20210125_233643-ccfopt.jpg 20210118_113902-ccfopt.jpg 20210118_113826-ccfopt.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks Swiss to me.

i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Forget Durer. This is at least 400 years later. Could be an aquatint - a type of etching. How big is it? Is there an indentation around the image? (It could still be an etching, machine produced, without that indentation.) Can you get a picture of the back, particularly in raking light to show any molding of the paper, or is that not what you mean by 3D? The lines and textures on intaglio prints are 3D, but at an extremely low level. The color might be hand applied.

Fid, i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The subject is Alpine. Switzerland, Austria, South Tyrole, that part of the world. 19th century or early 20th.
    If we could see the costumes properly, especially the headdresses, we may be able to narrow it down to a region.

Not Dutch, we don't have mountains, only dunes and a few hills. No puffed sleeved 'busty' blouses either.;)

i need help and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It would be helpful if you provided us with a photograph of the entire work both front and back including frame.

Debora

i need help likes this.
  6. SUPERJUNK1970

IT DID NOT HAVE A FRAME.
    I WILL TAKE DAYLIGHT PICTURES ON A COUPLE OF HOURS.
    ITS CALIFORNIA STILL DARK.
    AND ITS GLUED TO A CUSHION TYPE BACKING., ITS NOT CANVAS. IT HAS THE THICKNESS OF A PHOTOGRAPH , but ITS NOT GLOSSY, AT ANGLE IT LOOKS LIKE EVERY ITEM HAS LIKE A TRACE LINE AROUND AND ITS LIKE THE IMAGE INSIDE WAS JUST PAINTED. THIS IS WHAT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE 3D., MEASURES APPROXIMATELY 15 X 11 INCHES.

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'd go with stone lithograph.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. SUPERJUNK1970

Here are the PICTURES 20210126_122037-ccfopt.jpg 20210126_122104-ccfopt.jpg 20210126_122112-ccfopt.jpg 20210126_122130-ccfopt.jpg

Born2it likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be. The granular quality looks iffy for aquatint... but could be iffy for wet stone lithography as well.

10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

No Aquatint that, too soft overall. This type of 19th c plate is almost always a lithograph

11. SUPERJUNK1970

Worth wise??
    ANYTHING

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

nice. not Swiss. from the form of the house - stable in stone under living part in wood - and the clothes it's Tyrolean.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Not a lot of value, but that depends partly on getting the type of print correctly ID'd. You can see how indecisive an answer you got from these photos. You might better take it to someone who knows prints for a more hands-on opinion.

Fid likes this.
  14. victorian_fool

victorian_fool New Member

The possibility of a Durer AD in that water fountain is a stretch ;) I'd also say forget Dürer. Interesting find...

15. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It seems to be dry mounted and damaged.

16. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I agree, the shadows look like they were drawn with a crayon. The paper doesn’t seem like the type for etching. Good thing is you could probably get away with soaking it in distilled water and it would come off the backing. I don’t think it has a lot of value.

Draft saved Draft deleted