HELP! *jewelry box* opaline glass?/hand cut? — WHEN/WHAT?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Heironymous, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Heironymous

Heironymous Active Member

I hope someone can please help me with this beautiful jewelry box, in identifying at least the era or round-about decade in which it was made — and firstly, what in the heck is this??

Opaline glass? — Frosted crystal? ... I’d say it’s hand-cut for sure. But I’m so uncertain about everything else that I’m questioning everything.

C6144D61-F578-466E-9649-89AB1EABE082.jpeg

There is no maker’s mark nor artist’s signature on it anywhere that I have detected. It is a heavy, solid chunk. The trim is brass-plated and worn; thin to begin with. As you may view in this pic:

D83AFD72-F8E0-414E-B3A4-8A0E6F99703E.jpeg

So does anyone know anything about this??

All I know is I think it’s beautiful in it’s simplicity of design — and that too makes me wonder “Deco?” ... but from when??

Help me out here, folks!

Thanks!

i need help likes this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, Heironymous! What is the size of this box, please?

I'm just wondering if it might originally have been for cigarettes?

komokwa and i need help like this.
  3. Heironymous

beats the heck outta me?? ...

hang on ...

6” [15.25 cm] x 3 3/4” [9.50 cm] x nearly 3” [7.75 cm] in height.

Interior compartment: 5 1/4” [13.25 cm] x 3” [7.75 cm], with a depth of 1 3/8” [3.50 cm].

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    i need help likes this.
  4. Heironymous

The idea of it being a cigarette box is interesting. But from when?? ...

i need help likes this.
  5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

If a cigarette box likely for king size which became popular in the 1960s.

Heironymous and i need help like this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

I don't see anything to make me think "cut".

judy and i need help like this.
  7. Heironymous

How is it made then? ... poured into a mold?

I’m sorry to be so naïve about it. That’s why I’m asking. The lid/top has a lot of irregularity in the surface; and the edge of it is just so crisp and delicate — I wondered if this wasn’t indicative of the hand of the artist being in it, rather than so machined?

i need help likes this.
  8. Heironymous

I’m also [now] seeing stuff on eBay listed as “frosted glass trinket box” that is similar — but smaller, painted with flowers, and the edges are much more blunt.

So I dunno.

Like I hoped to imply from the get-go: I don’t know a thing about it.

i need help likes this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

E23F855D-E451-44E3-B4E7-E99816D9CB10.jpeg This is a broken link... maybe you can find it by using some words in the title and description. It saw the flower ones and they also seem similar. Frosted glass vintage.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm used to seeing these with decals on the top - mostly florals. They used to show up at at local auctions pretty regularly. I always thought 1950's - 1970's because the decals were close to those found on other glass from that era. That would fit the time frame of cigarette boxes. It isn't always easy to find these in good condition as they seem prone to rust. Wish I could point you to a reference but I can't so all the above is based on my somewhat limited experience. Don

11. Heironymous

Thank you everyone. (Don, experience is everything in this game)! — much appreciated; and I appreciate everyone’s kind assistance with my query.

I dare say my question is answered.

As I am not one to shy from self-deprecating humor, I really thought I might have had something here initially! -lol- ... (with grandiose delusions of a 1920’s piece of Deco or something). *hahahaha*

I’m glad I didn’t over-invest in my purchase of it [at $4.00 US]. I will say, I think mine is in pretty good shape — for what it is — and mine is a bit larger than most I’m seeing for sale now. I may or may not flip it on eBay. I like it myself ... and that’s all that really matters, right??

Unmarked stuff is sometimes tricky — especially when rolling the dice with uncharted territory & lack of knowledge on the specific item.

[$4 lesson, learned] — And, again, I thank you ALL!

Keep antiquin’, junkin’, and havin’ fun, all the way around!!

I’ll find that Bacchantes or Lalique in the wild one of these days!

12. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

To answer one of your questions, it was pressed in a mold, both pieces may have been made in the same mold.

Heironymous and UncleChuckTX like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted