Featured Help me identify this carved throne chair.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Brundel, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Brundel

Brundel New Member

Hello

I have been trying to correctly identify this chair for some time and I still dont really know.
    How old?
    origin?
    Estimated value?

I have had it for 15 years and its been my reading chair but Im considering selling it and I realize its likely worth a good deal. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks![​IMG]

Piece Dove, aaroncab, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

More typically called a "wainscot" arm chair, popular in america & england in the 17th century. This is a revival chair, guesses late 19th century era.

3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Brundel! :) Someone will be along who knows something about your chair.
    James beat me ! :hilarious:

4. James Conrad

LOL, FINALLY!

5. James Conrad

Here is a pair of period 17th century wainscot chairs

wainscot.jpg

6. Brundel

Brundel New Member

Hey guys
    very cool. So its not 17th century but a 19th century replica?

Piece Dove and James Conrad like this.
  7. James Conrad

8. Brundel

Brundel New Member

Is it likely valuable or should I keep it for my reading chair?

9. James Conrad

I'd keep it as a reading chair, it is not valuable, I'd guess $150 or so if that much. Others should be along that can give a more accurate number but, brown furniture is not in fashion these days & prices are low generally speaking.

Piece Dove, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  10. James Conrad

If you notice in photo of period chairs, the background is wainscot wall paneling and typically in the 17th century they used their best quality riven oak timber/lumber to build these wall panels, ditto for these chairs hence the name "wainscot chair". Or so the story goes, at least for now..........

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Welcome to Antiquers Brundel!

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I get a colonial vibe from this. Thai? Anglo-Indian?

judy, Figtree3, Piece Dove and 4 others like this.
  13. James Conrad

Yeah, it could very well be, it does have that every square inch carved look of an import.

14. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

And the pedestal with curved "paws":)
    @Any Jewelry will know, I'm pretty sure :joyful:

judy, Piece Dove, i need help and 2 others like this.
  15. James Conrad

Agrees, where is AJ on this, she's pretty good at this sort of thing. Wonders what species the wood is as that is usually a clue about origin.

16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome, Brundel. Wonderful reading chair, are you sure you want to sell it?
    Thanks for tagging me kyra.:)
    The style and colour look Indo-Portuguese or Indo-Dutch, in the style of the Portuguese or Dutch colonies in India and Sri Lanka. I agree with James, it is a revival chair, very beautifully made.
    The design of the central flower (lotus?) even looks Javanese (Indonesian), another part of Asia where both the Portuguese and Dutch used to be.
    Asian Colonial furniture can incorporate different styles, because craftspeople traveled from one colony to another. Indo-Dutch can also refer to colonial furniture from Indonesia.

Generally this ebony or ebonized furniture is from Portuguese and Dutch India and Sri Lanka, and the Dutch-Indonesian style used and combined different woods.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    judy, KikoBlueEyes, Figtree3 and 6 others like this.
  17. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

I agree with AJ. South-East Asian but hard to define which country. Do you have the cushion that fits inside the seat frame?

judy, Figtree3, Piece Dove and 3 others like this.
  18. Brundel

Brundel New Member

I dont have the cushion no. I have been using one that I had that fits perfectly.
    Great looking chair though.
    If its basically worthless I will for sure keep.

judy likes this.
  19. James Conrad

Well, it's not worthless, it's just not very valuable, most brown furniture isn't these days. If it was an American period wainscot chair for instance it would be, hundreds of thousands probably because there are only 30 something known to exist. If English, not so much, maybe a couple thousand because there are many of them still around.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  20. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

images-8.jpeg images-5.jpeg images-6.jpeg images-7.jpeg Hi Brundel. By cushion, I meant more of a specially made wooden frame that fits snuggly into your chairs raised edge with lots of cushioning and great upholstery. I looked again online for you, but couldn't find a match.

The best I could manage were these, which I hope shows what I mean.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted