HELP! My fan wont run now :(

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Matt G, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Matt G

Matt G Member

IMG_3113 - Copy.JPG IMG_3114 - Copy.JPG I bought a Westinghouse fan, non-oscillating. It ran when I bought it, started up a little slow but very quiet. Its one speed as well, very simple fan, doesn't move, only one speed. I figured I would spruce her up with a new vintage style cord and new switch and clean it up. all went well except for now when I plug it in, it just hums but wont run. I reconnected the wires just the way they were before. The only thing I can think of is I need to switch the white and black wires on the power cord, fan/appliance people please help! lol :banghead:

IMG_3111 - Copy.JPG

KingofThings and kyratango like this.
  2. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I can't help with wiring but I had a really old fan that hummed but would run if you gave the blades a little help starting. Sorry that's all I've got:(

5. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

Please take this.
    upload_2018-1-18_9-7-47.png

And you are welcome!

6. Matt G

Matt G Member

hahahaha oh man, I love the replies. Well Asian Fever it has to be an indoor fan, and Any Jewelry that's too much work....lol

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Power plug polarized? One of the prongs bigger than the other?

Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  8. rhiwfield

rhiwfield Well-Known Member

I once wired the electric cooker wall junction box and it promptly exploded.

I also cut through a live mains wire as a child and survived.

Now what did you want to know again?

;)

9. Matt G

Matt G Member

Nope! the original wasn't and my replacement cord isn't polarized either

Bronwen, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  10. Matt G

Matt G Member

Move along. Move along. :hilarious:

11. Matt G

Matt G Member

I did try that too, It didn't do anything :(

12. Iowa Jayhawk

Wiring shouldn't matter. The hum makes it sound like there is something with the motor. Is there a way to lubricate the motor?

13. Matt G

Matt G Member

Well the only designated lube points are the brass ball bearings on the shaft on the front and back. I guess I could rub in some dielectric grease on the cylinder and put it back in. Hmmmmm.......

14. Matt G

Matt G Member

That's one reason I was confused, cause I KNOW the wiring shouldn't matter hahaha

15. Iowa Jayhawk

Not with stuff that old.

antidiem, Bronwen and KingofThings like this.
  16. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

could also be binding when you put it back together, put the screws in almost all the way , shake it down, and then tighten it . Polarity doesn't matter as it is ac .

17. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Old fans are pretty simple I've fixed a few. Wires go to switch and ground, then wire goes from switch and ground to brushes and to the electromagnet that makes it turn. If it worked before you took it apart, but now it doesn't, but it does hum, then it is either binding like lloyd said, or it is a problem with the brushes. Unplug it and try turning by hand - if it doesn't spin freely (it should keep going for at least a few turns) then lloyd is right and likely screwed up when putting together and it is now binding. If it spins freely but nudging it by hand when plugged in doesn't work (use a stick), then likely the brushes aren't making good contact.

Bronwen, KingofThings and lloyd249 like this.
  18. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:eek:

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

All my first thoughts too.

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted