HELP!!! Mystery Wood Carved Japanese Sculpture

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Mcp2015, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Mcp2015

Mcp2015 New Member

Hi Friends! I am new to the board and I need some help-

I have recently found large two wood carved sculptures (possibly monks) in my great aunts warehouse. I have inherited them after her passing. She was an avid collector of all sorts of things, especially antiques. She served for the Red Cross during WWII and spent significant time in Japan. She has a wonderful intuition for finding significant collectibles and works of art.

Does anyone know what these are? They seem old and really cool but I have zero information on them. Any help would be appreciated. I am not able to upload the file to this thread with photos as it keeps saying the file is too large. Any suggestions?

Maria

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Hi maria & welcome !

You're taking photo's that are too large.
    If you can downsize them, they'll fit the sites parameters.

Without photo's we can be of little help.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Mcp2015

Mcp2015 New Member

Photo of the items in question below. Thank you!!!!

[​IMG]

4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hi and welcome!
    I had the same problem and some nice person suggested I change my photos to 480x640 which worked! Took me a little to figure it out but I did. :)
    I've got nothing to offer on these except to say they look like new stuff that's around now but provenance seems to say otherwise.
    I think they are great!

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Oh, I really like them! Can't be much help, though, in identification. Wait for more eyes...

KingofThings likes this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It's interesting that you have right and left. I can imagine these placed at the entrance to a temple, though I don't know if the bowls would be for receiving or dispensing.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely ! I thought the same thing,some sort of altar sculpture,maybe for a private one.

Mcp2015 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted