Featured HELP: Need help identifying this painting & painter!

Discussion in 'Art' started by Olivia Stephenson, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Olivia Stephenson

Olivia Stephenson New Member

EA394B7D-2290-4080-A924-9D6518B530A4.jpeg 6FBBFD2F-2FD8-48EE-AC0B-EB6470E2F112.jpeg E69FADBE-74D3-476E-B2A8-9532488E74C5.jpeg 109779B9-BA35-4FE6-BBD9-88CB42F9B369.jpeg Hi Everyone,

I have a painting that has been passed down through the family and can’t seem to identify the painting or painter. It seems original with the signature “ C. Pape” but we can’t seem to identify the painter. It could be Frank C Papé but his work doesn’t seem to align with this painting. Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum, Olivia.
    Lovely painting. The Madonna is of a type seen in different European countries, and copied in the Americas. Is she holding a lamp?
    The stamp is faint, but it seems to have been framed in New York state.
    upload_2018-7-5_18-51-31.jpeg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It's GLENDALE, NY, but I haven't got the name stamped on the frame......starting with AM or AN....then can't get the rest......oh, and sorry, WELCOME to the Forums, Olivia!!!!

zzzSTAMPED FRAME.jpg

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess Latin American. I've never before seen a Madonna holding a Toucan.

The national bird of Belize is a Toucan, but it isn't red-breasted.

There is a red-breasted Toucan that lives in southern Brazil/Paraguay/Argentina.

Any connection to those areas?

5. Olivia Stephenson

Thank you! Yes I should have posted a better image but the frame says “Ancobilt” from Glendale NY. Posted this image because it had the frame #, I wasn’t sure if that was relevant.

i need help likes this.
  6. Olivia Stephenson

I will look more into this! As far as I know there was no connection to those areas but you never know. Thank you for the suggestion :)

i need help likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Is it a toucan? I thought it was a red lamp.:hilarious: The pictures are so tiny.
    Could you please post bigger pictures so everyone can see? As komo would say: "You've got to help us to help you." You might be missing the right information this way.

8. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Welcome Olivia.

i need help likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

As long as your images you post are UNDER 1 MB EACH, we LOVE bigger images!!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted