Help need to explain odd mark around a maker's mark.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lark, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I have a collection of Luneville Old Strasbourg earthenware. As I was taking the picture of the Maker's mark I noticed a very faint irregular line around the mark. It is only visible when the light shines just right so I am unable to get a picture. It looks like the mark was put on a pieces of transparent paper and applied under the glaze. I have hundreds of pieces and I only see it on a set of 10 pierced edge dinner plates not the dessert plates. It is just very odd. I can see it plain as day when I tilt the plate but very hard to get a picture. I took a picture with my digital microscope and you can see the faint outline. I am going to sell these and want to be sure they are not faked makers mark. resize luneville plate front.JPG luneville mark outline.jpg luneville downsize.JPG

KSW likes this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Just curious, this plate looks very typical to me, is there a lot of faking going on with Luneville and are the fakes of high quality like this?

I didn't know plates like this were faked - are they very valuable?

John Brassey, Fid and KSW like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess the square outline marks the edges of a decal.

4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

That was my concern since I am sure in 1880-1920 they would not have used a decal. All of the shapes are irregular however and none identical. I did not find any reference to fakes on the internet and the quality is just like the others with out the outline. I am baffled but will put them up for sale . I handled these a lot checking for blemishes and did not notice the marks until the light hit them just right.

5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Luneville plates like these are going for $30-40 dollars a piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted