Help! Need to restore cast iron piece

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Tanya, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

A79E315F-A55C-4BB2-A159-67800D217841.jpeg 6F24C3D6-08A6-46B0-8047-EDA584FFC4B4.jpeg

I bought this at an antique fair years ago. I absolutely love it - and use it! I brings me joy each time I enter the house and see it in the entryway.

The awful painters I hired REMOVED IT FROM MY HOUSE and left it in my yard. I can not imagine why! It’s been there a month and is all rusted. I can’t sand in the crevices. What can I do??

I am so, so upset. It’s not that valuable (maybe $100) but I loved it.

I believe it is cast iron. Do I follow instructions for removing rust from a cast iron pan? It had a beautiful patina but if I can’t get that back I guess black would be ok.

thank you!

judy likes this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If you are going to paint then really the best way is get them sandblasted, then prime, then paint.
    If you want them as metal - I spray down with Master Blaster as a preservative - wipe off then let air dry outside because MB has a chemical smell.
    Remember everybody has their own different ways........

According to your pictures that piece looks fine just as is! Maybe just a light brushing from a FINE Brass bristle wire brush

judy likes this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

That's what i would use, A wire brush and maybe some steel wool.
    Mikey

judy likes this.
  4. Branka

Branka Well-Known Member

Btw, there use to be places that for a fee did the sandblasting. Do they still exist in the States? They would do furniture, metal, anything. I’m wondering...

Tanya and judy like this.
  5. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Yes, we have several around here - more out in the country. I think that some car restoration shops also do that.

Tanya, judy and Branka like this.