Help Needed Dating Old Trunk/Chest

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by stolenchyld, Jun 4, 2019.

1. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

Hello all, and thank you for any info!

I recently purchased an old trunk/chest I have no information about, and I'm curious about approximate age. I've researched things like nail ages and the like but really still have no idea about it, since in years of looking at trunks online and at flea markets and antique stores, I've never seen one with a lid shaped like this (which may be totally irrelevant!). Some of the nails are rounder and some are more oblong. Most of the hardware is missing and replaced to be usable, but the trunk lock is definitely irregular and to the left of the trunk, not centered. The whole thing is pretty wonky and I love it. Attached are some photos - I'm open to any ideas! Thank you. trunk1.jpg trunk2.jpg trunk3.jpg trunk4.jpg trunk5.jpg trunk6.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks home made........and it's how big ?????????????????????????

stolenchyld and yourturntoloveit like this.
  3. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

It's decently sized - I'll measure when I get home tonight!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

stolenchyld said: ". . . in years of looking at trunks online and at flea markets and antique stores, I've never seen one with a lid shaped like this . . . ."

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Please excuse the italic lettering which follows!!! :(

I "think" it was the maker of the trunk (who could have been the original "owner" of the trunk) making the best he could do in putting a "sort of" dome(d) lid on top. The trunk maker/owner was doing the best he could to keep people from putting other big items on "his" trunk.

Originally "domed-lid" trunks were "a step above" and more "prized" than flat-top trunks. It has been said that was because if a trunk had a "domed lid" then other luggage could not/would not fit/be stable on top of it in transit (or otherwise).

Domed (rounded) lid trunks were (supposedly) the first off of a train, bus, and other means of transportation. ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    KSW and stolenchyld like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wonder if this was originally intended as a carpenter's tool box (obviously for a joiner with a substantial number of tools.) Can we see the inside?

6. komokwa

and that's what it looks like.a large tool box....rather than a traveling chest....
    the outside screams ..no corners...no leather...no brass...

and those metal handles...double pinned.....that's for serious weight !

KSW, stolenchyld and Bakersgma like this.
  7. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

It’s 35” L x 18” W x 16” H

KSW likes this.
  8. stolenchyld

stolenchyld Member

3903497B-7F0E-498C-824E-8D14113C49AA.jpeg CDA148DF-4C19-46A3-9D65-74C882B3FC19.jpeg 436F1D77-7F0E-4032-A19F-B67D7B4410CA.jpeg I forgot about the inside - there is a label that, um, could be helpful to post, right? Of course! It’s in German and I roughly translated it and it didn’t help me much, but thinking it could be a tool box could make more sense! There were tons of people with the name in Nuremberg spanning generations I’ve found, so that wasn’t helpful. The address doesn’t seem to exist anymore, or street numbers changed. I didn’t take this into account originally since I read the clues to dating are mostly in the nails and hardware. Also, embarrassingly, this is my dog toy box, so I moved them over a bit to take a photo of the bottom.

BoudiccaJones and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

hummm...194? ....... that looks like a mail or travel ticket...

stolenchyld likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted