Help Needed Identifying Make & Year of Antique Sterling Silver Spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Robin L. Kiskunes, Sep 12, 2022.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the helmet mark....is up side down....

Frank likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Bakersgma

The pattern appears to be Margaret - Old, issued in 1907. Of course, that does not mean your individual item was made in that year. International did not use year codes, but did use "weight codes" during the time when this one was made. The B means either "Medium weight" or "Trade weight."

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  4. Bakersgma

5. Bakersgma

As I was looking for a good image of the Margaret Old pattern I also found a better image of "Margaret New" (which was issued in 1912.) The slight differences between the Old and New may be easier for you to compare to the one you have in hand than for me to compare to the pictures.

[​IMG]

komokwa and Robin L. Kiskunes like this.
  6. Thank you very much for this information! I can see that it is almost the same pattern! My remaining question is who is the maker? Is this International Sterling and what is that symbol above the words "Sterling" and below the letter "B"? I have shown this in my first photo posted.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

asked and answered

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Bakersgma

It is International Silversmiths AKA International Silver. They also made items of silver plate, which is why the company is not named International Sterling.

Draft saved Draft deleted