Help needed on a serious of 10 Ordnance Survey of Malta.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hachiko, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

IMG-8317.jpg IMG-8316.jpg IMG-8314.jpg IMG-8322.jpg

I tried to look up these particular set of 10 ordinance survey maps of Malta but I didnt find them. The dates seem to vary.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Size? Loose or bound?

Debora

Hachiko likes this.
  3. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

I will have to measure them but rather large and loose. looks like they were maid to put one next to each other with marked in roman numbers from 1 to 10 or better still I - X

4. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

They came from one of the towers in Valletta just when British left for last time in March 1979

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is that a frame I see in one photo? They were long obsolete by 1979. The paper would lead me to believe they are decorative reprints but could be wrong.

Debora

6. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Not framed loose... I wouldn't know if decorative or not, all I know where they came from as my Dad got them himself as he used to work for the British . There is another set which for me look look a photocopy if such a thing was even possible on such a huge paper. The colour of the other set is blueish to purple even.

7. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Tomorrow I will try take a couple of photos .

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you.

Debora

9. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

IMG-8302.jpg IMG-8301.jpg IMG-8297.jpg

These are the copies I mentioned. Also On both the original and the copy there is written GSGS 3852 Malta 2 H P W A 081073

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, so it's a set of rolled up maps.

Debora

Hachiko likes this.
  11. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Yes we kept them rolled up.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Were they found rolled up?

Debora

Hachiko likes this.
  13. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

I wish am able to ask him. They don’t seem to have any marks of being ever stuck to somewhere

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hachiko, I'm going to ask that in the future, as a courtesy, you provide all the information you have in your initial post. That would include full photographs, close-up photographs of important details, dimensions, and any information you have about your items. That would save you time and get you better quality assistance.

Debora

Hachiko likes this.
  15. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

Noted Debora and thanks. I am learning as I go along and I dont always know what is vital or not . Certain things dont even cross my mind. I will use the valuable information so in future I will try come here with as much info as possible :)

Any Jewelry and BoudiccaJones like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hachiko.

Debora

Hachiko likes this.
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

IMG-8437.jpg IMG-8441.jpg [/ATTACH] IMG-8438.jpg IMG-8439.jpg

This is sheet I . Size from Sheet no I-X are H64cm x L87cm but not all are the same they vary with few cms

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  18. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

19. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

all the Maltese items you've shown so far are signs of the English Angst when it was obvious that the Italians - especially after 1922 - were not ready being betrayed by the Allies a second time. when it was clear that the Duce dreamt of the old Mare Nostro with an exclusively Italian North Africa and started to install his Black Shirts there - they were called colons - especially in the Cyrenaica, the bells rang in London and Paris.

20. Hachiko

Hachiko Active Member

A piece of history that inevitably also effected the island. You seem well versed on history

Draft saved Draft deleted