Help needed to identify dresser style, vintage

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by JMack, May 27, 2022.

1. JMack

JMack New Member

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't think this conforms to any particular historical style. There are some vaguely French details but, if I had to guess, would think Italian in origin. Would need more photos to even have a guess as to age.

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Your image is fine....I just blew it up a bit.....is that a repair at second drawer down, bottom of left corner? Could you take a drawer out and show the side of it please? Every bit helps!! Any identifying stamps under the drawers or on the back or bottom??

069FE9C3-01C3-4D14-8DA5-077C6E80E8DC-gigapixel.jpg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd think old school pretty-pretty of no particular age or origin. Are those latches really made to take a key? Does it acually have latches? How are the drawers assembled? You get the idea, not that I'm a furniture expert; I've just hung with a few.

I'd be thinking Continental Europe too.

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A true French one would have had a marble top, probably.

6. JMack

JMack New Member

New photos attached. Dresser has had a lot of use. Slides have been repaired and runners on drawers have I believe been 'replaced' with new wood. The wee square bottom left below middle drawer has indeed been repaired. Locks would operate if I had the key. I want to put metal undermount drawer slides on the dresser to make it useful as the drawers do not operate very well BUT I don't want to destroy the dresser's value if it has any value! Your thoughts appreciated.

ACA22B96-2E95-40E1-B59A-30E4EA48F809.jpeg

75566F0E-9170-4F45-83FB-C472A805AB73.jpeg

7EE61844-6CA9-4516-905A-DEC48143FC63.jpeg

1E69D68B-8B78-491E-B433-18291964D019.jpeg

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

New pics confirm this has some good age to it. European furniture is not my specialty but would think at least mid-19th century. Probably not hugely valuable but I would not make the proposed modifications were it mine.

Figtree3 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. JMack

JMack New Member

Thank you VeryBrad. I may just repair slides and live with it for a while. Cheers JMack

Ghopper1924 and Born2it like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

From those pictures I'd say it's been around a few too. The individual key latches vanished around WWI I think.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  10. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Would guess ca. 1860. Do not mess with :)

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and Born2it like this.
  11. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

If you want to peg it to a definition, I'd say late 19th C to first quarter or the 20th. rococo revival serpentine front commode, probably European but not necessarily so. Rather nice veneer!

12. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

The top looks very glossy. Is it wood? Is it possible it’s Formica?

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

jMack never came back.......

Msalicia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted