Help needed to identify piece, please

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by hansel, Jun 2, 2017.

1. hansel

hansel New Member

Hello,
    I am trying to identify the period or style of this piece. Could anyone help? I am also unsure on what type of piece it is (sideboard, buffet, something else)? IMG_0901.jpg Thank you so much.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow....that's unusual...

size ?
    top?
    rear?
    interior?

one straight on photo just is not enough for a proper answer..!:facepalm::depressed::muted::meh::inpain::rolleyes::(:wideyed:;)

3. hansel

hansel New Member

4. komokwa

folks here will weigh in on restoration.....be patient.....and wait for others to chine in....
    & yes...more pics.....specially of any damage, would be helpful to us............
    as well as helping us...help you.!

5. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Personal opinion - NOT a professional opinion - late 1920s Art Deco sideboard, probably European made....................

now - let's wait for the professionals to chime in and tear me to pieces!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. komokwa

no one is going to rag on you for just an insightful opinion.

( there r so many other good reasons...!!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:...)

lloyd249 and judy like this.
  7. hansel

hansel New Member

IMG_1704.JPG IMG_1705.JPG IMG_1706.JPG Thank you for info. Here are pics of the worst spots. Water marks on the top, and some damaged veneer.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

When you're 90, you'll have some veneer pops too. I agree with the late 20s - early 30s dating. It's not American; odds are it's Continental. @verybrad may be able to pin it down further, if one of the European posters can't.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, 1920s-30s European art deco sideboard/buffet. Could be Belgian or Dutch. Oak veneer. The top damage is not so great that refinishing should take out those water marks. Might need to do a little sanding. Just be careful not to sand through the veneer. The missing pieces can be painstakingly spliced back in but it takes a lot of patience and a little skill to do it. Many people fill the gaps with putty but it never really looks right. I would say leave it as-is or splice veneer back in. Since most of the damage is to that one arched section, You could try something creative such as removing all the veneer from that area and re-veneering in a contrasting wood. You could refinish the handles to match. This would also give you the raw materials to splice veneer into the few remaining areas that still need it.

lloyd249 likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am Dutch, and though not Art Deco myself;), I know this particular style very well. Probably not Belgian, Dutch Art Deco often had this really chunky furniture. So I agree, Dutch Art Deco.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What are those cupboards like inside? It might well be British, we did that shape and foot style. It may also be as late as post WW2 - whilst you could not buy furniture for home consumption in the 40s, we had a massive export drive.

12. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I LOVE the lines on this ! Do I see a hint of Biedermeier ?

Draft saved Draft deleted