Help needed, unusual apothecary chest

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by katie.d, Nov 13, 2018.

1. katie.d

katie.d New Member

Hi All,
    I wonder if anyone could assist me, i have a piece of furniture that i am looking to sell, however i'm unsure where to start in deciding my asking price as its a little unusual. I understand it was handmade in Fiji, its an apothecary style chest of drawers. i have attached some pictures. Can anyone point my in the right direction of finding out more details about a piece such as this? funiture4.jpg furniture1.jpg

Attached Files:

pearlsnblume and i need help like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

A Southeast Asia origination would seem right to me so Fiji could be a possibility. Don't see much furniture from Fiji so no comparables. Does not seem to have much age. What is the size? where would you be selling?

James Conrad and i need help like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This looks like a Pacific style to me, so Fiji could be right. I saw similar furniture in Fiji in the 70s, but they are probably still making this style.
    I believe there is similar furniture on Hawaii, which is probably easier to research.

judy, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Not A Clue! on value of this chest but, antique american apothecary chests sell well & for pretty good numbers.

judy and i need help like this.
  5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Women go for these chests in a big way, i guess for jewelry/do-dads boxes or as countertop spice boxes
    American, 19th century sold for $1600
    0a64eec5cf8c1cc7ca3a676c5fda1380.jpg
    Grand Daddy of all Apothecary chests, Delft 1730, Priceless
    Notice all the delft jugs still filled with potions

delft3.jpg

6. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi Katie,
    Not sure where you are, but I think you have a very recently manufactured item. Fiji does produce furniture, using lots of mango wood which has that lovely soft yellow colour of yours, but it is mostly outdoor settings and occasional furniture.
    Could you see if a CD case fits neatly inside a drawer? I just think the word “apothecary” overstates it’s real use. I see some wooden items like this in nice furniture stores catering for young homemakers and apartment renters.
    As solid as it appears, in Australia this item would have little value second hand or even at auction.

James Conrad and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted