Featured Help needed with 2 Fenton Glass pieces.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

The first one is a basket with an impressed design but I haven't been able to identify the pattern name. I've been looking on line and at the Fenton Fantics website but haven't found it. I could have missed it, it' happened before. It has the Fenton logo on the base. It stands just under 7" including the handle and approximately 5 7/8" long and 5" wide. It has iridescent color and the ruffle is opalescent. Thank you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 2 is a blue opalescent bowl with the cactus design. This also has the Fenton logo on the bottom. I know that Fenton did several re-issues of the pattern but I have not had any luck finding this bowl in this color to date it. Any ideas? The bowl is 7 1/2" wide and 3 7/8" tall. Thank you again!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

Look at Persian Medallion QVC for the first one.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The first one looks like Persian Medallion maybe with an updated mold? Another dealer at the mall told me that some Fenton items have been produced abroad. Not really a Fenton person so I wasn't really listening. He, of course, was horrified. So maybe this is one of those pieces.

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I think your other one is Cactus. Will check one of my books.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

QVC, that makes sense. The other piece is Cactus but that's all I know about it. Fenton made it for other companies as well as themselves. The colors that I could find documented in my books are topaz opal and milk glass. They made it for Levay in multiple colors.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Wow, Mill Cove, I'm with Baker's on this one - impressive photos!!!

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you all. I'm heading over to the QVC data base. I looked there before but I guess I didn't recognize it.

I seriously doubt this is a fake. The woman that owned all this Fenton was a rabid collector. Her daughter lived near the Fenton factory and gave her pieces as gifts that were all purchased directly from the Fenton Factory shop. Every time she went to visit her daughter, she also purchased directly from the factory. She told me she purchased quite a bit from QVC as well.

I will check out the Levay glass and see if this cactus color was made for them. I did find one piece called "aqua" but it did not look anything like this.

Thank you for the photo compliments Bakers and SBSVC. :)

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Number 1: Fenton Persian Medallion it is! Thank you! When I searched the data base, I completely missed this one.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Mill Cove Treasures

11. Mill Cove Treasures

12. Mill Cove Treasures

I saw this aqua cruet on the DDoty webite and it also has yellow tones. So I thought the white background might make a difference.

http://www.ddoty.com/cactus.html

I took these pictures with a white background and without using a tent (see the glare from the lights) and I could not recreate the yellowish color, just a hint and barely noticeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

The ones with the yellow tint are carnival glass. Yours is not carnivalized so it doesn't look the same. The yellow tint ones were called Aqua Opalescent Carnival, but I thought that they were also offered in plain aqua opal by Levay. I have CRS on this.

14. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow, I like the black background photos so much. Possibly the basket would look better against black as well?

Anyway, this is from my book, Fenton Special Orders, by John Walk from the section on Levay.

This is to show your piece but this is Aqua Opalescent, the one on the left. They said that it also came in a 7" size.

DSCF6926.jpg

This is to show the difference in color between the Aqua Opal on the left and the Blue Opalescent on the right, also the prices and explanation. You can click on this picture and it will enlarge. Hope it helps.

DSCF6928.jpg

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you Ola! That is very helpful.

I always photographed opalescent glass on a black background because it seems to fade away with the lighter background. However, on the basket, the Persian design details were almost lost on the darker background.

Draft saved Draft deleted