Help needed with a 18th century French text

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

I am currently researching a book in two volumes in my collection. The title is "Historia episcopatuum foederati belgii, utpote metropolitani Ultrajectini, nec non suffraganeorum Harlemensis, Daventriensis, Leovardiensis, Groningensis, et Middelburgensis" and it it written by Hugo Franciscus van Heussen. The books are printed in 1733 in Antwerp, Belgium.

The book is a description of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Utrecht and contains a lot of portraits of bishops, maps, and churches of this Archdiocese in the north and west of the Netherlands. The book also contained a book plate (ex libris) of a bishop of Ypres in Belgium, dated 1762 (the year Félix de Wavrans became bishop). Probably he wrote some words in this book that I am trying to translate.

IMG_1978.jpg

This is what I can read:

Hugues Francois Van Heussen, Pretre Hollandois né a la Haye en 1654, fut Curé à Leiden, eut le titre de Doyen du chapitre d'Utrecht, et il fut choisi par Monseigneur Codde pour provicaire pendant le voyage de celui à Rome. on le cite comme un de plus Zeles provocateurs de la desobeissance envers le Pape dans cette affair. Il composa sur ce sayet: Historia Episc: Foederati Belgii Batavia Sacra, plus un traite de controverse contra les protestants. Picat memoires T IV. p80.

This is what I understand so far:

Hugo Francis van Heussen, Dutch priest, born in the Hague in 1654, died in Leiden with the title Dean of the Utrecht chapter. he went to Paris(?) after a trip to Rome. There he saw a lot of disobedience against the pope. He has written for the cause: This book, Batavia Sacra (another book that he has written) and a writing of the controverse about protestants.

Is this correct?

Title page volume 1

IMG_1977.jpg

Book plate of bishop Felix de Wavrans

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg Nice large map of the city of Middelburg
    IMG_2056.jpg The province of Zeeland IMG_2071.jpg IMG_2029.jpg

Great typical Dutch villages. You can almost sense the wooden shoes and tulips... The windmills are already there. IMG_2078.jpg

The former owner of the book: Félix de Wavrans, bishop of Ypres

pasted image 0.png

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Another impressive book, EL.
    In this sentence I read 'envers' instead of 'commes', so towards (against) the Pope.

Maybe @kyratango can take a look?:)

kyratango and Ex Libris like this.
  3. Ex Libris

Thank you for your addition, I have changed it in my text.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

It would certainly take a while to translate the entire book, but I swear by using Google Translate, particularly when corresponding with clients throughout Europe.

Google Translate - Bing

Ex Libris likes this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

fut Curé à Leiden, eut le titre de Doyen du chapitre d'Utrecht, et il fut choisi par Maître ....pour provicaire pendant le voyage de celui à Rome.

6. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

was a priest in Leiden, had the title of Dean of the Utrecht chapter, and was chosen by Master.... for provicaire during the journey of that to Rome.

Ex Libris likes this.
  7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

is that BingoBongo or Goggles ? :)

8. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

You're right! "Désobéissance envers le Pape"

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and Ex Libris like this.
  9. Ex Libris

Thank you all! We are getting closer. now I wonder who M (Maitre/Monsieur) Codde (?) was :D.

10. Ex Libris

I think I have found him: Monseigneur Petrus Codde the sixth Archbishop of Utrecht. I even have found a picture of him in one of my other books (Batavia Sacra from the same author) IMG_2083.jpg

11. Any Jewelry

The English translation of provicaire is pro-vicar, meaning a deputy vicar. That was van Heussen's position during the absence of Codde, when Codde went to Rome. Codde was not a 'that' btw, he was a person.

Ex Libris likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Just wanted to add for the prupose of the book, an RC vicar is much higher up in the hierarchy than an Anglican (or) Protestant vicar.

Draft saved Draft deleted