Help on a possible Thomas Cole?

Discussion in 'Art' started by ron columbo, Apr 24, 2019.

1. ron columbo

ron columbo New Member

I am looking to confirm or not that this is a Thomas Cole. Have no real history on it but it came from Canada. The signature is similar to other Thomas Cole signatures and subject is right. I was told my one expert the paint strokes do not appear to be Cole's and it is on a copper plate. Thoughts? Early work? He was trained as an engraver and worked in Calico printing. I have been told copper plates are commonly used by artist in the past. Also I need a good conservator for it and any experience with ART EXPERTS in NY who say they will research this for a price.

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  2. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I would say "not," but I would also say, "not convinced that asking a message board to look at a snapshot is the best way to get a painting authenticated."

Pat P, Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Looking at Thomas Cole's works, your painting looks less sophisticated, though an artist's style can evolve over time. Getting an expert opinion sounds wise.

This is a Cole painting with a similar view and the style looks significantly different to me than in your painting.

[​IMG]

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted