Featured Help on Antique Glass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sharott, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Sharott

Sharott New Member

Hello there,

We have had this antique glass cabinet for years in storage, would anyone be able to identify what kind cabinet it is and a potential value? I'm from the UK and based in North London. Even getting someone down to check it out would be ideal as we want to sell it but would like to get the full potential price as I believe a professional could get it restored. SDC10977.jpg SDC10988.jpg SDC10979.jpg

antidiem, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I don't know how things are in the UK with conservative mid-20th century neoclassical revival furniture, but in the U.S. midwest value is minimal.

Yours looks to be a mahogany vitrine ca. 1940s. No doubt very well made and suited to its task, but sadly not in demand, at least around here.

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@verybrad, @James Conrad!! I've tagged them as they should be able to give you some ideas, as well as others!! And WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!! Great job getting your first images up too!:):):)

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

would like to get the full potential price.........

which may be a lot less than you imagine...;)

5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is a china cabinet, as seen in the "front rooms" of pre and post-war Britain.

Mainly used for displaying your best cups and saucers when the vicar comes for tea.

When I sold my dad's place in the UK I couldn't even get a container/furniture guy to drive to his place to take a look at my parent's old handsome rosewood china cabinet - so I donated it to a local charity shop.

Disappointing and despite quality, very little interest in these pieces.

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, does not look old to me either so i dunno, it is english as well so have no clue what value there is for mid 20th century furniture.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

1920's China cabinet.

I can't give them away here.

25 years ago they sold well like bureaus did.

Its a shame but most of the ones I get go to the tip.

8. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. I'm seeing some waviness to the glass and inlay looks real, not painted on. It could be older than the consensus. Pull it out from the wall, and show us a picture of the back. And maybe a picture underneath so we can see how it is constructed.

Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think this is Hepplewhite style 1890s to Pre WWI.

A lovely piece. Used to bring good money.

10. James Conrad

Tip? Junk yard?

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  11. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Town dump

12. James Conrad

LOL, OK, was trying to google that & was not doing real well!:confused:

13. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

1920s or 1940s doesn't really matter. Value in the U.S. midwest is anywhere from $30 down to giveaway a/k/a "The Tip." :)

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

If you were near me Id take it in a heartbeat ! Lovely. However,younger folks just dont collect all the stuff it would take to fill it so they have no use for things like this.I,on the other hand,could fill it from one closet alone! :)

15. James Conrad

That's kinda sad but, it is what it is.
    I would add if OP cabinet has "family" value, I would keep it & restore it. Just because a piece has little value in the marketplace doesn't mean it has no value in a personal way.

antidiem, Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It's earlier than mid 20th. Absolutely typical Edwardian china cabinet, made by a myriad of makers here. I sold one at Bainbridge's at Ruislip a couple of years ago on behalf of a friend who was executor for an estate. As I recall, it got about thirty quid. Give it a polish and keep it. If you want confirmation on that sort of value, email Bainbridge's or Harrow Auctions. There's a dealer in High Barnet might buy it, but I doubt she'd give more than twenty, sadly.

Figtree3 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

As Pat said, it is a lovely piece in the Hepplewhite style and would probably do well in the eastern US because it is not of the heavy Victorian or Rococo style.
    Wishing you good luck with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted