Help on date and style of a sette

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by george carter, Feb 14, 2021.

1. george carter

george carter Member

Resized_20210214_162750.jpg Hi again everyone.

I have accumulated quite a few pieces and have had some luck in identifying them but this sette has me stumped, any help is appreciated.

judy and Branka like this.
  2. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

3. george carter

george carter Member

This is where I have trouble identifying things. What features make it regency

4. ritzyvintage

Difficult for me to explain. I'm certainly no expert, but "Regency" sprang immediately in my mind. Compare its "shape & style" to those on the link I gave you. Your example as been well upholstered too! I couldn't say when it was made though...

judy likes this.
  5. george carter

george carter Member

Looking at the link you sent I see that most pieces have somewhat straight backs where as the one I'm trying to identify has a camel back. I had seen that camel backs were common both in Victorian and American empire

judy likes this.
  6. george carter

george carter Member

This piece is also quite small, under 6' in length, the seat height is about 12-14 inches off the ground and the back maybe 35" high.

judy likes this.
  7. ritzyvintage

Like I said, I'm no expert. I'm sure others will know for certain... It doesn't look typically Victorian to me, or American Empire, but???

judy likes this.
  8. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Quite right George. Victorian ca. 1860.

judy likes this.
  9. ritzyvintage

What makes it so? I'd like to learn. It looked Regency in style to me?

judy likes this.
  10. george carter

george carter Member

It's sometimes confusing.

Is this style furniture typically so small or is this more for decoration.

I also have a vanity that is quite small, the center section is only 23" tall.

I believe that it is 1930's art deco. If I'm wrong feel free to correct me. 16133459344208857729225273145008.jpg 16133459344208857729225273145008.jpg

judy likes this.
  11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the desk is Deco.

Victorian-era sofas can vary from smallish to hugeish. This one, with its back topped with an S-curve and grape leaves and its splayed arms, tends more towards Rococo Revival, which in the U.S. was at its peak ca. 1855-65. The overall form is descended from the neo-Classical/Regency era of the early 19th Century, but has been updated to reflect (then) current styles.

komokwa likes this.
  12. george carter

george carter Member

Thanks so much for the information. It seems most pieces I've accumulated are transitional, they seem to have features that don't seem typical to one style.

13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That's a dressing table missing a mirror, rather than a desk.

Fid, komokwa, Houseful and 3 others like this.
  14. george carter

george carter Member

My thoughts were that it is a bathroom vanity , mainly because of its small size. I do not have the mirror unfortunately.

15. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

The dressing table probably had a round mirror. If you look at the back you'll see the 'ghosts' of where the supports were mounted.

You have to remember that back in the 20s & 30s bedrooms were small and people/women were also smaller/shorter.

Sadly it has little value today. Prime example of what some people would 'upscale' by painting. I've know others that take them apart and make 2 nightstands out of them.

komokwa, Houseful, judy and 1 other person like this.
  16. george carter

george carter Member

You can see where the mirror was mounted, it was broken many years ago. I do see people "Repurposing " these but this is in very nice condition, regardless of value, I personally would not cut it up or paint it.

judy likes this.
  17. ritzyvintage

My late Mother (and many women of her generation) had a similar dressing table suite which included his & hers wardrobes, 2 bedside cabinets and matching bed with head & foot boards. The dressing table also had a stool which tucked under when not in use. It was common to have a glass or porcelain Table Set with powder pots and trinket dishes displayed in the 'well' part of the dressing table, and have a candlestick upon each of the side upright draw sections.

upload_2021-2-15_12-51-30.png

lovewrens and judy like this.
  18. george carter

george carter Member

I have a couple of other vanities which are slightly older than this but substantially larger. This piece has a makers label marked 3/4, does anyone know if that's a reference to it's size

judy likes this.
  19. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

judy likes this.
  20. george carter

george carter Member

Thanks for the reference. I've been looking through some info on identifying pieces but it seems I find lots of info , some contradicts others , I'm thinking it's because furniture makers add their own features and possibly use more than one style components, perhaps transitional pieces.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted