Featured Help on identifying this tea set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Sarah24, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

Hi! I’m brand new here. I was hoping for some help identifying this mark on a tea set that I have inherited.
    It’s a full ‘dragon’ tea set. Maybe Kutani or Satsuma? I’m not sure.

I’ve added a pic of the marking on the bottom of one saucer and a pic of the teapot.

thank you!! F43E9A4C-ADA4-4C03-ACC5-CFD154001B30.jpeg C2338C12-1991-4030-B1C4-C87E6F898960.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG] this leads me to think it's modern Chinese...... but I can't confirm that..

gotheborg.com ...

but it could be Satsuma......I just can't find it !

Last edited: Aug 22, 2023
    Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

Thank you!!

komokwa likes this.
  4. komokwa

not yet,,,,,,,,I could be way off !

the gold dragon spout has me down a rabbit hole....

could we get a bigger pic of the pot?

5. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

let me know how these pics are, I will add a couple of some of the other pieces too.

May need to do it in a couple of goes with the pic size restrictions! thumbnail_IMG_5628.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5628.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5627.jpg

6. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

looks like the size restrictions were just when i was using this on my phone, let me know how these pics help!

thumbnail_IMG_5629.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5629.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5630.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5631.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5633.jpg

7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

This may be a lead to explore ...

Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 12.08.50 AM.png

8. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

Very interesting!! That marking is so similar. Thank you!

pearlsnblume, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely, Sarah. Much nicer than a lot of Satsuma out there.

10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

It is satsuma and how lovely to have a set. The tea pot is gorgeous with that dragon spout! You can search your mark at gotheborg.com under Japanese marks, subset satsuma. I would think early 20th c, but that's a guess.

11. komokwa

lovely set !!:happy:

Sarah24 and pearlsnblume like this.
  12. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

Thanks so much for your help everyone!!

Roaring20s and komokwa like this.
  13. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

Would anyone be able to tell me the best place to have a set like this valued? Thank you

14. komokwa

A reputable auction house that handles fine asian dish ware ....
    should give you an estimate.

A fine Gallery...that handles the same...
    you'll pay for a written appraisal..

if it's for insurance purpose , the replacement value will be higher than you could sell it for.

A high end antique shop...that sells this type of item.....may offer a verbal estimate...and then try to buy it from you for less.

It all depends on where you are and what you want to do with it !!!!!!!

Remember......you got it for free....and unless you are in the business , you'll never get full market value for it ........... unless u give it to a fine auction house , & it pops!!!....but in which case....there are commissions and fees that will lower your final net price !

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

I’m unsure what I would like to do with it, I do love it but I have a 3year old who is like a bull in a China shop!! We are in a relatively small place in Sydney too.

Im not particularly looking into selling it but would be happy to if it helped ease the current cost of living! My dearly departed grandfather who passed it on to me was the kind of man that would say sell it! It’s gathering dust! Haha. I am curious towards its value though. I was also given some lovely Figgjo Lotte china which he pretty much insisted on me selling because he hated the pattern lol
    I also got a lovely Royal Doulten set that I will 1000% keep because I love it and it’s very useable :)

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

I do love it, it’s beautiful

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. Any Jewelry

Your 3 year old won't be 3 years old forever.;) Think about how you would feel in 5 years time if you sell it now. If you think you'd feel OK about it, by all means sell it. If not....

komokwa likes this.
  18. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

It certainly feels like forever with a threenager!! I agree though, it will take a lot of consideration. I would love to know the value regardless. I’m a bit more sentimental than my late Pop so tend to hold onto things a little tighter.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. Any Jewelry

Totally understand. I am very sentimental, even the tiniest thing reminds me of someone, some precious moment, and I have to tear myself away from it.;)

komokwa likes this.
  20. Sarah24

Sarah24 Member

I think my partner would describe me as a hoarder with all the sentimental things I keep I have to draw the line somewhere I guess!!

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted