Featured Help on Old Antique Chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Johnnie3, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Johnnie3

Johnnie3 New Member

Hello All! What a great forum! I know about a lot of different antiques but furniture is not really one of them!

I picked up this one the other day just because it has a great look to it. If anyone has any idea as to its age/style/country of origin/etc it would be greatly appreciated. The gentleman who I got it from said he bought it in Boston last year because his wife liked it but never got around to redoing it.

I have more pics if they would help.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think probably Italian 30s-40s. Mish-mash of styles in an over-the-top concoction. Likely had a matching sofa.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Take off the old upholstery, scrub softly, with a wood cleaner, that old residue out of the crevices, a nice coat of Danish oil, then get it re-upholstered.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. NorgeBluEyes

NorgeBluEyes Member

Wow! Gorgeous chair! Personally I wouldn't touch the wood, it looks nice and "old" [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Had to laugh. I agree with Brad. Living in an old Italian neighborhood in Brooklyn, I have seen a lot of similar furniture.
    I loved living in Brooklyn. The 30K houses there are now selling for 2 million and up. The gentrification there has been horrible.
    greg

pearlsnblume and KingofThings like this.
  6. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I enlarged your pictures.
    I, too, love this chair. I also love the upholstery. I think a similar replacement fabric would cost a fortune though.

7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    Great photos! :)

8. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Oh Book! You changed the photos. :)

9. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

This is a strange one. I inherited a set of chairs that looked like that. Originally purchased in Chicago back in the 30's or 40's. One of the chairs had a tag from a well known department store in Chicago but I can't remember the name. I sold them a few years ago. I'm just outside of Boston and I wonder if that is one of the chairs.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

To ME, the RIGHT re-upholstery job, will make that wood really jump out!!!!!! Right now the fabric on it, again....TO ME, is screaming in contrast for attention and taking away from the beauty of the carvings on the wood!!!!!;););););)

Edit: It's lovely fabric.....just not on that piece......

11. Johnnie3

Johnnie3 New Member

I tried to post about this before but I'm not sure if it went through.
    The gentleman I got the chair from said that he did buy it in Boston at a garage sale about a year and a half ago. He did not mention anything about a second chair but I guess it is possible. He said his wife loved the chair and he was going to redo it but never got around to it.
    Any other info you might have a better chair would be much appreciated. It looks like it is handcarved and that the cushion has sheep's wool in it. It seems pretty old because it has small nails holding in the fabrics underneath.

12. Johnnie3

Johnnie3 New Member

Thank you very much! The photos look so much better!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted