Help on painted cabinet debate

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by DeAnne, Nov 16, 2022.

1. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Okay so this is not mine it's a debate online on whether the cabinet in Russian or not. To me it looks Indian from India but everyone else seems to think Russia. Am I the wrong one here? My reasoning is the design the colors well an just all of it. What are your thoughts??
    My phone is still being temperamental with picture sizes IDK why. The first picture is of the top of it.

IMG_8482.PNG

IMG_8483.PNG

IMG_8484.PNG

IMG_8485.PNG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The pictures are small, but the style looks more Russian than Indian to me. Google Russian Lacquer.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    IvaPan, DeAnne, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  3. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

See to me it doesn't Russian. The painting is not detailed enough around the flowers an stuff an usually Russian work is. An another thing is that its a standing cabinet. Russian painted cabinets are very rare an ornate. Most of the painted Russian stuff is small like boxes a brooches. But that's why I am asking others opinions. So maybe I am way off here.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Once a style is out there, anyone can choose to do it, and there are a lot of factors that influence quality.

Roaring20s and DeAnne like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I get a Russian vibe also.....

IvaPan, Roaring20s and DeAnne like this.
  6. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

Well I guess it's just me then. For some reason I can only think India when I see it. Especially with that blue person all my mind can go to is Krishna. But I guess I'm way off.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

This on the top looks different than the rest. No signatures anywhere? A folk tale perhaps?

upload_2022-11-16_17-0-29.png

DeAnne likes this.
  8. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I think the scene on the cabinet top in the first photo is from a Russian folk tale (or poem) "The Little Humpbacked Horse" by Pyotr Yershov.

IvaPan, DeAnne and Roaring20s like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Enlarged a bit...........

upload_2022-11-16_17-0-29-3_00x.jpg

IMG_8483-3_00x-.jpg

IMG_8484-3_00x-.jpg

IMG_8485-3_00x-.jpg

DeAnne and Bakersgma like this.
  10. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

... and I believe the scene on the front is of the Russian folk tale "The Flower of Stone". Here is a example with the three figures and the flower.

Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 8.35.22 PM.png

Based on my limited search of the internet, it is very unusual to see furniture with this type of decoration. The cabinet form is very similar to Chinese lacquer cabinets. Perhaps a custom order. Very nice.

Here's a high-end example with similar images.
    Screen Shot 2022-11-16 at 8.51.35 PM.png

11. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

12. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Maybe a bit late but the guys above are right - definitely these are illustrations of Russian folk tales.

The one on the top is indeed "The Little Humpbacked Horse" by Pyotr Yershov (Конек-Горбунок Ершева) - the guy in black is "the bad guy", a Tsar's servant who stole the Firebird magic feather from Ivan while he was sleeping. The glowing thing next to the black guy is exactly the Firebird feather.
    Here there is information about the tale:
    https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Конёк-Горбунок

And the one on the doors is indeed from "The Stone Flower" by Pavel Bazhov.
    https://briefly.ru/bazhov/kamennyy_tcvetok/

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted