Featured Help on possible 18th century lead statue TYIA

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by gauntlettgems, May 11, 2018.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

IMG_3984.jpg IMG_3985.jpg IMG_3986.jpg IMG_3987.jpg IMG_3988.jpg IMG_3990.jpg IMG_3989.jpg
    I really know nothing about this. Approx 17" x 12" and extremely heavy. I paid for an evaluation online to try to figure out or get pointed in the right direction but I am still not much further than when I started. I would have thought it was bronze but they said it is likely lead based on the images provided and meant to adorn a fountain. They said it is French and 18th century or fashioned after an 18th century piece. They also remarked that it deserves further research in order to make an attribution. I used to have the email of someone that was very knowledgeable on these types of things but have since lost it. I like the value they placed on this but would really like to know more about it before I try to sell it. TY for any information anyone can help with

2. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

3. gauntlettgems

Thank you for taking the time to help. Interesting!

judy, Joshua Brown and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't quite tell what they're doing. Dumping a container of water? Doesn't look like they're holding a jug. Imagery like that is associated with river gods. It's certainly in 18th C taste, but that's not necessarily an indication of when it was made.

Lead was/is used for garden statuary (hardly a hard and fast rule) but that doesn't look like it has spent any time outdoors.

5. gauntlettgems

One is quieting the other with her finger over her mouth There is an amphora or jug between them.

judy and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. Huntingtreasure

Removed, as they are not exact.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
    Bronwen likes this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Quite correct. Aged male figures pouring water from a wide mouthed jar are allegorical figures for rivers, such as the Tiber. Female figures, usually with more delicate jars, represent springs or smaller water courses.

I don't see the finger as over the lips in a shushing motion; more raised in an admonitory way.

Have made myself dizzy looking back & forth between them. They seem to derive from the same basic image, but are not the same, are they?

I see one figure as female, the other male. In this one it is the male tipping the jar & the female with the cautionary finger. On the eBay one the roles are reversed?

Also, I do not see this feature (wing?) on the eBay one:

upload_2018-5-12_8-52-33.png

Differences in the hair are the easiest for me to compare. This is the eBay figure I see as female:

upload_2018-5-12_8-57-37.png

From this angle she looks like an adult woman, wearing her hair in a way that is characteristic of Venus. Gauntlet's figures are both immature looking, putti.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  8. Huntingtreasure

Have made myself dizzy looking back & forth between them. They seem to derive from the same basic image, but are not the same, are they?

You are right. Close but not the same. I removed so as not to cause confusion.

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Bronwen

They are so similar, using the clues provided by the 2 of them for possible search terms may be useful.

Find if I search for putti or cherubs + some word for the vessel, I just get such vessels with figures on them. Have more luck using verbs like pouring.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  10. Huntingtreasure

I think the male is based on Falconete’s Cupid.

11. Bronwen

Which derives from depictions of Harpocrates:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpocrates

Putti engaged in various activities have been such popular artistic subjects for so many centuries... See the ivory work of
    François Duquesnoy & van Opstal. This design would have been appropriate for a fountain.

12. Huntingtreasure

Could the girl be Psyche?
    I have seen them together, but not in this pose.

13. Bronwen

Researching the one under consideration, found this old Sotheby's listing. Anyone else disturbed by Sight about to swat a fly & Touch in agony from a snake bite?

upload_2018-5-12_10-11-10.png

14. Bronwen

Between the 2 versions, there are echoes of Cupid & Psyche, Venus & Cupid, & putti as followers of Bacchus/Dionysus. (Could see it as one scolding the other for spilling the wine.)

15. Bronwen

16. Huntingtreasure

74ABF521-10F7-45E5-9B2D-20596B28E735.jpeg These were done by Falconete.
    : FIGURES OF CUPID AND PSYCHE 'L'AMOUR MENACANT' AND 'LA NYMPHE FALCONET'

Bronwen likes this.
  17. Huntingtreasure

Yes, all these pairings would do.

18. Bronwen

19. Bronwen

If the bit on the back I flagged in post #7 as possibly a wing is actually meant to be my other idea, an animal skin (& looks more hairy than feathered to me) then the allusion is to Bacchus & his retinue.

20. Bronwen

The Falconet certainly seems to have been widely reproduced. The quotation on the base of this one in the Met is amusing.

When endeavoring to identify the artist behind this ivory plaque (here making, I think, its third appearance in a thread) by using stylistic clues, & poring through all the ivory putti I could find, I saw that how the hair is done is distinctive. Second image is a painting, but there would have been a real ivory behind it. Same composition; hair says different artists.

Genius_of_Silenus_2.jpg Sauvage,_Piat_Joseph,_circle_of.jpg

Falconet gave his figure lush locks. Modeler of the metal piece was less generous.

Draft saved Draft deleted