Featured Help please? Origin and value of filigree cross and chain?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Darkwing Manor, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

And here is No. 2 today. This is one piece of about nine different forms of this type of filigree work. The cross is 2 3/8" x 1 7/8", the keeper is 2.5" L and the chain is 20" L. No marks! I' wondering if it should go up for auction as a single piece or as part of the whole lot. Value will help me determine that, if anyone can offer an opinion.Thank you!
    cross1mail.jpg cross2mail.jpg cross4.jmail.jpg cross5mail.jpg cross6mail.jpg

2. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

It's lovely - I'd sell it on its own, unless there are matching pieces,which would be rare for a rosary, I think. Have you tested it? Looks like it may be vermeil (bottom of last image).

Check this site out: rosary workshop
    He makes and sells incredible rosaries - a lot of museum quality antique filigree pieces.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  3. scoutshouse

4. scoutshouse

Did you post the lot somewhere? I don't see it...

Curious what-all you were thinking of throwing this in with :)

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is lovely. Not a rosary, but a cross (not angry:playful:) necklace, probably Italian.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Maybe Portuguese too, but probably Italian.

Darkwing Manor and scoutshouse like this.
  7. Darkwing Manor

I don't have the pics down-sized yet, I'll work on that today. Here is what I currently have on auction: https://www.ebay.com/sh/lst/active

8. scoutshouse

I knew I was off somewhere :)
    A rosary is more like prayer beads, right? This wouldnt work because it doesn't have the right number of beads to do a complete prayer.

But a rosary can have just a cross, right? doesn't have to be a crucifix?

Rosary or no, I think that site could add to what we pull up here.

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

A standard rosary has five 10-bead groups separated by links/chain/whatever and a bead in the center of that. There's a shield-shaped medal attached the bottom, then three more beads and I think another single. Generally there's a crucifix attached. I've sold a bunch of them and even made one once. The filigree necklace was made by someone familiar with rosary beads, but it was never a rosary.

Buddhists and Muslims use prayer beads too, but they look different.

10. Darkwing Manor

Ok, here are the other wire pieces from the estate. I'll post the damascene, etc. later! The family traveled all over the world so I can't pinpoint any likely source. The round brooch measures 1 7/8", the widest bracelet measures 1.5". No marks except on the teardrop earrings "Sterling". Thanks everyone!!!! I wouldn't know what to do without you all! wirebracelet2a.mail.jpg wbrac1.mail.jpg wirebracelets3b.jmail.jpg wirebracelet4amail.jpg wearrings1mail.jpg wearrings2mail.jpg wpins2mail.jpg wpins1mail.jpg

11. Darkwing Manor

As a recovering Catholic who has used rosaries, that is 100% correct. The beads are positioned as specific prayer prompts to guide you through your devotions. And no, my cross necklace wouldn't work for that. Can't imagine anyone but a priest, bishop or Goth wearing it, it's pretty ostentatious.

kyratango, scoutshouse and Kimbert like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Dang, that is a nice group of filigree! I would have snapped them up in a heart beat :)

13. Darkwing Manor

They will be going up on eBay soon. I've got an entire estate to liquidate for my friend. :nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: I may have to skip Christmas this year!

14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

With the quality you're showing........it may BE Christmas ...this year !!!!

15. komokwa

oh,,,,& nice clear photo's !!!!!

16. Darkwing Manor

Thank you! This old lady finally caved and got a smart phone. It's so good with photos that I've thrown all my cameras away! The only thing I can't figure out yet is how to send them to myself for editing without emailing them one by one by one. That gets so tedious.

kyratango, i need help and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

Can't help u with that........don't own a phone !!
    But others may have that info..........
    my Wifey sends me several pics at a time.....from that pink phone I'm holding in another thread..........so it can be done....at least with an Eye Phone !!!

kyratango and i need help like this.
  18. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Hey, post a link to your listings when you'll have settled them!:)
    The patina is lovely on these filigree beauties.

19. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

When you go to send one, your photo gallery should pop up. You can put a check mark to send others at one time. I can usually send about 3.

20. scoutshouse

Try opening a free Dropbox account from your computer, add Dropbox to your phone and upload all new photos there.:)

What kind of cloth are you using for background - it looks nice. :)

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted