Featured Help please with ceramic flower frog and glass or ceramic tray.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lvetterli, Apr 15, 2019.

1. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

First the frog. 4 3/4" in diameter, heavy, 13 holes and no mark. I have seen ones the same shape as this with Weller stamps on them but they all have 11 holes. The glaze is mottled, kind of like a curdled glaze, thick, glossy and smooth. Any ideas of maker? DSCN0002.JPG DSCN0003.JPG DSCN0004.JPG Next is this tray. I can't really tell if it's glass or glossy ceramic. Looking at the back makes me want to say ceramic, but I don't really know! It is not translucent at all. 9 1/2" in diameter, metal ring looks like pierced steel. The back has stamped 3505 and 23 is impressed close to the edge. I know I should recognize this bird but I've been waiting for my brain to come up with it for several months. So, I've come to you folks to help me out.
    DSCN0006.JPG DSCN0009.JPG DSCN0008.JPG

Many thanks for any and all assistance.

Linda

2. lvetterli

Oh, those aren't chips on the frog, big glare spots is all.

Christmasjoy, judy and scoutshouse like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

4. lvetterli

And so it does! At that point I would assume it is unmarked Weller.

Linda

5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Weller Hobart often comes in that shade of turquoise.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Many of the trays with similar metal rim and ceramic tiles that I have seen come from Germany.

The bird makes me think of a grouse, which is part of the pheasant family.

7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Capercaillie?

8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It's in a fir tree too so could be Scottish or made elsewhere for the Scottish tourist trade?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, capercaillie, and it shouldn't be standing on that branch, silly bird.:rolleyes:
    I think it is German made, they have fir trees and capercaillies as well.;)

I love the celadon colour of the frog, pity that won't be visible when used.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  10. lvetterli

Good morning everyone! Thank you for all your input. The bird does appear to be a capercaillie, the beak in the air appears to be a common stance. I have no idea why I thought I would be familiar with it though, I don't believe I've ever heard or read the word before and, unless I've seen it here on the board, don't know where I would have seen one. So, thank you all for your wisdom and willingness to share it!

Linda

11. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

Concerning the tray, the way the light reflects off of the glare spot in the second photo would rule out glass to me.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Didn't know what a Capercalillie was. See it is a grouse.

From Google:
    The western capercaillie ( Tetrao urogallus ), also known as the wood grouse , heather cock , or just capercaillie / ˌ k æ p ər ˈ k eɪ l i / , is the largest member of the grouse family. The largest known specimen, recorded in captivity, had a weight of 7.2 kg (16 lb).

Christmasjoy likes this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That would feed a few on Christmas Day!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

:hilarious:
    Alert from identifying the bird, my knowledge of Flora and Fauna is probably as sketchy as my knowledge of the origins of most of the bits of jewellery I post!

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

*Apart* not alert.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Still early here, I wasn't alert to alert really being apart.:playful:

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I had never heard of a capercaillie, either. The second new thing learned from this site today!

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Draft saved Draft deleted