Featured help, please, with MAKER of 1960's 10k YG color change sapphire ring

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by SBSVC, Aug 21, 2018.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that someone can help me ID the maker's marks in this ring that belonged to my late (youngest) sister. Dad gave each of us a "big girl" ring when we turned 12... This one was hers:

img0 (29).jpg
    To me, it looks like a cursive F and a flower(?)

Thanks SO much!

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That is so lovely, and a beautiful ring it is too.:)

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, AJ! It really WAS very sweet of him. MINE (which I still have, as well) was a ruby.

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It could depend on where you lived at the time.Local jeweler,department store,etc.,many were sold the various stores through wholesale companies with large selections and marked with the stores marks which many of them were not recorded except with trademarks.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  5. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Holly. That's good to know. This definitely would have been purchased at a jewelry store.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. Asian Fever

Asian Fever Well-Known Member

ID. please ID..... so lovely and beautiful..... is not kinda of ID....:shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

judy and SBSVC like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Then you both got corundum. This one was lab grown, expect yours was too. 1970s? I also see a cursive F & a squiggle that could be a flower. Guessing a chain jeweller or, as Holly said, for a department store's jewellery department. Do you remember the name(s) of any local stores? Suppose it's too much to hope there was a Flowers?

Any Jewelry and SBSVC like this.
  8. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

I am thinking that is an L . I blew up the picture

IMG_4359.PNG

judy, kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  9. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

judy, SBSVC and i need help like this.
  10. DeAnne

DeAnne Well-Known Member

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed, Bronwen - both synthetic - and my "next younger" sister got a Chatham-created emerald. (Oldest sister got an opal - which cracked in half many years later.)

Also: definitely 1960's, not 1970's, and from an independent jeweler, not a chain or a department store.

DeAnne, when you look at it in "real life" it really doesn't look like an L, even with a loupe, but you are absolutely correct: it IS a cursive L! (I took a ton of photos, enlarged them, and I see it now!) Wow.

Hmmm. It looks as if there are a number of rings out there with these markings, but I don't find that any of them have been identified(?) In truth, I guess it's not that important, anyway. I was just curious.

Many, many thanks to everybody who has replied and helped with this! Your efforts are much appreciated.

judy, kyratango, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@SBSVC, I see the left initial as either a script "F" or possible too a script "J".....I also desaturated image a bit.....a toughie on the right................a VERY sweet ring though!!!!!!!

zzzzRINGSBSVC.jpg

13. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Thanks, Aquitaine!

(With much assistance!) I have determined it to be a script F on the left, and a script L on the right. Still don't know whose mark it is, tho!

judy, kyratango and i need help like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

judy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted