Help Reading Handwriting, Please!

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Mat, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

sig1.jpg Could you please help me to read the signature on the bottom of this? The text is written in French, if that helps.
    Thank you very much, Mat

i need help likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Please show us more of it so we can begin to work out how this person formed letters. Sentences will be easier to work out than the signature on its own.

3. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Is it just the sig you're trying to sort? I agree that letter formation used in other words can be so helpful. My French in very limited but something about tomorrow and good day I think of what's shown. Grosaly 39?

i need help, Figtree3 and Mat like this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you both, unfortunately I do not have more info, a friend asked me if I could read the signature, but he had only that picture. It is on a painting I think, so the name should be that of a painter. As I could not make the name ou at all, I thought I might try my luck here...

i need help likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Unless it's a watercolor painting, the paper and the writing appear to look more like it would be a print.

Mat and i need help like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Boy, that's a tough one.

Probably wrong, but at first I read "8 July 39" on the bottom. That would be the French order for dates, but English word for "July", so good chance not that.

Agree that more of the text couldn't hurt if you could get your friend to send a larger photo.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Mat, i need help and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Thank you Figtree3 and Lucille.b! If I get more pictures I will post them of course.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Great-- We look forward to more pictures!

Draft saved Draft deleted