Featured Help requested with vintage 3-legged table. English?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Sedona, May 3, 2020.

1. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone. I have a table purchased by my family (in California) in around 1970, from an antique shop. The only information I got was “it’s old and was expensive” for its time. They thought it was English.

I think I captured every angle. You can see there‘s a supporting piece underneath. The last photo shows the shape of the legs. It’s about 23.5” across the top, and the overall height is about 27.5”.

Is it made of oak? About how old is it? What do you call the shape of the curved carving underneath? Ruffled?

if anyone needs more photos, please let me know.

03CCD09A-E239-4750-9C13-9B54186F1669.jpeg 2867C74A-A8AF-41F5-91A2-7A8B34378BC7.jpeg 248ED8EB-DAC3-4796-9D9D-2DB5DC4956EC.jpeg BC4B5EC7-C156-49E6-82D7-5AEE2CF4E0A9.jpeg 132CD850-3C7B-498C-8FDF-F362FC7FC7A4.jpeg D6BB859D-35EE-4DEA-BACD-5C20A6F2B116.jpeg 03CCD09A-E239-4750-9C13-9B54186F1669.jpeg FCA33E41-C7C8-4FAC-9D64-FBB3EB5250C0.jpeg B515984B-39B7-4ACB-926E-24E980270304.jpeg

Firemandk, Bronwen, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Sedona. To me your piece looks like a darling little tea table with significant age to it and nice lines! I'm thinking NOT oak, but am NOT a wood expert either....will let those more knowledgeable chime in with additional information! @blooey, @James Conrad, @Ghopper1924 !!

3. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Nice table, I would guess cherry or possible maple with a dark stain. I don't think its oak. More pics with a bit more light could help. Wait for the pros to chime in.

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think this might be an item for @James Conrad to help with.

Appears to have had a rather strange repair. I understand what they were trying to do. It just is done in a strange way.
    I think it is older, just not sure how old.

Also maybe @Ghopper1924 or @verybrad

5. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmm, looks like an 18th-century cricket table to me. It's old I think, the heavy thick stock on aprons/skirt and I am guessing top has wood pins attaching it to the base.
    I am not real sure about the game "cricket", some kinda perversion of BASEBALL!:hilarious:
    or why they needed tables like this, to keep score?

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  6. James Conrad

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Haaaaaaaaa, they don't really know the origin of this form table and why it's called "cricket" or if it has any relationship to the game.
    Generic term, kinda like "tavern table" here.
    So this site claims
    https://www.arcadiaantiques.co.uk/the-origin-of-cricket-tables-news-29.html

"As the name goes cricket tables are in essence English pieces of furniture which were first created somewhere in the early 16th century. Examples of these tables have been often seen in Scotland, Ireland or Wales and such other places. In general terms, a ‘cricket table’ refers to an occasional table with a round top, set on top of 3 angled legs, usually with an under tier set between the legs. The three legged table concept was developed maybe because the three legged form is comparatively steadier on uneven ground, stone flag floors in the taverns, inns and cottages back then.
    So why is it called a ‘cricket’ table? Is there any history between the game and these kinds of tables? Well the origin of these tables is more or less guesswork really. Whether the game came first or these tables? Assuming that these tables came into existence after the game of cricket, the association between the two is in terms of the three stumps in the game and the three stick legs of the table.
    Another reference as to the cricket tables is in association with Crackets, which were low stools from the household furniture. The early reference of the word crackets, often spelt as cracketts of which the word cricket is a possible variation, is somewhere in the early 16th century. The crackets weren’t the milking stools as have been often mislabelled. The Cricket tables date from around the same period. The structure of the two is quite similar in nature with their three legs and a solid plank top, the height being the only distinction.
    Arcadia Antiques has always maintained a good selection of Cricket Tables. There are variants in their original form as well as the painted versions of the same too"

7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

I figured this was more in James' wheelhouse. :) :)

8. James Conrad

I would add that Americans built "cricket" tables back in the day, after all we were British subjects once upon a time. I doubt we called them cricket tables though.:hilarious:
    Can't tell what wood species is on OP table which could help ID country of origin.

Here is an American cricket table, 18th C. painted
    http://www.mycountrytreasures.com/18thcrickettable.html

600_Early_Green_Tavern_Table.jpg

9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

But personally, I'd take Sedona's in a heartbeat!!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:

10. clutteredcloset49

@James Conrad
    Interesting info on the Cricket table. Thank you.

Did you notice the shape of the legs. Not square. For better stability maybe?
    upload_2020-5-4_8-58-55.png

11. James Conrad

That may be but, you would take a HUGE hit in your pocketbook with your choice.:eek:

No, I didn't notice that but guesses it has to do with having a flat surface in joining aprons/skirts.
    There were many variations with these tables, the better examples had splay (flared) legs and a medial shelf or stretchers.

Flat surface to join aprons / click to enlarge
    B515984B-39B7-4ACB-926E-24E980270304RR.jpeg

Aquitaine and Bronwen like this.
  12. James Conrad

Better English examples,
    First one is walnut with turned splay legs
    The second is William & Mary and a really outstanding example, notice the turned trumpet legs & 3 drop leafs

first.jpg

W&M.jpg

Firemandk, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  13. clutteredcloset49

Hmm I like that second one.
    Makes me think of a small table I have at the store.
    I just called it an occassioanl table. Mine has a one piece top, (the one I snagged from the internet appears the top is in 3 sections).
    upload_2020-5-4_9-41-29.png

Aquitaine, Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  14. James Conrad

Me too! And, I bet it has never seen a cricket field in its entire life!:rolleyes:

Change the tag to "Cricket Table" and watch it fly out the door!:cigar::hilarious:

15. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Thanks, everyone, so much for your responses. This has been very helpful and educational. I'm surprised to see that the table may be much older than I had thought.

I'm not sure the extra piece of wood underneath is a repair, as it's the same stain as the other wood, and appears to be an integrated piece.

The green painted one looks almost identical to mine (and, if you look towards the left, you'll see a piece of wood sticking out under the top, just like mine). So, I wonder if this is actually American, and not English. As others have noted, any 18th century American craftsman would likely have been influenced by the English styles of the time.

The wood on top is very smooth, and does appear lighter than the rest of the table. I just presumed that was from decades of use and polishing.

I will do my best to make sure there are no run-ins with coaster-less beverages!

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not oak. Looks a bit like pine but could be birch or maple.

Aquitaine, Bronwen and James Conrad like this.
  17. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

18. clutteredcloset49

Interesting construction
    upload_2020-5-4_20-57-18.png

Also seems to have the same weird leg shape as yours.
    upload_2020-5-4_20-58-31.png

19. James Conrad

Yeah, $8500. not exactly giving that table away!
    As usual, the condition normally plays a big role in value, and on OP table, the "batten" seems original but there has been added newer blocking for some reason, a replaced top perhaps?

It is, the way the legs are milled and the "battens" on most of these tables, to assist with multi-board tops & give added mass to attach the top.
    On expensive example, you can clearly see wood pins on the top, which probably means that top is original to the base which adds to value.
    I suspect that like tavern tables here, many tops have been replaced on older examples.
    Although there are many examples of 18th century tavern tables here, it is rare to find one with, original top, original drawer and original feet and when you do, it will COST you!:cigar:

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Naff all to do with silly mid on.

Baseball was based on rounders, anyhow, not cricket.

PortableTreasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted