Featured Help to date and style antique Wash Stand / Commode

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by annea, Nov 15, 2019.

1. annea

annea Member

Wondering about this antique wash stand / commode piece. Was told that it was walnut. Has square nails and dovetailed drawers. Back and bottom appear to be not hand planed. Thank you for any help on this.

Attached Files:

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Here is its cousin that lives in my house, my dog approves. Mine is pine, mid to late 1800s :)

Welcome to Antiquers, more knowledgable boardies will be along soon.

PineChest.jpg

judy, James Conrad, Michael77 and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Very nice, annea. Yours too Marie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. annea

annea Member

Thank you Any Jewelry. Yours is certainly close to mine Marie. Very nice! I had looked at many online trying to find something close, and have not come across any similar, so interesting to see yours.

5. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Very nice piece, I don't think its walnut, looks more mahogany to me, walnut tends to be darker and the grain pours are lager than walnut. I could be wrong wait for others to chime in.

judy, James Conrad and i need help like this.
  6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, thinking it is mahogany with a lighter-than-usual stain. Guessing 1870s-80s. A bit more "down to earth" than alot of late 19th century Victorian.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with a circa 1870 date and I do think Walnut. Maybe best described as late classical.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agrees on the Walnut, on door pic you can see the lighter sap wood on right hand door.
    Very nice wash stand with gallery & towel bars and used often as well, replaced drawer runners testify to that which do not hurt value at all.

9. annea

annea Member

Thank you so much for all of the help with this!

Draft saved Draft deleted