Help to date Krementz necklace?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wenna, Sep 10, 2016.

1. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Hi all, I was hoping that someone with more familiarity than myself could help to date this Krementz necklace (30" long). I don't know if this is a newer one or older. There is a mark next to the Krementz name that I can't make out. I have looked with a loupe and it's just not defined enough. Maybe someone has seen it before and knows what it signifies, if anything? That's the best magnification I could get on the photo. Thanks for looking! IMG_2218.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

How about a pic of the WHOLE necklace??

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Some Krementz jewelry is gold filled, but that mark next to "Krementz" looks more like a dog paw than "G.F." or "12k GF".

Can you get a closer picture of the mark? I've had some success laying a loupe on the mark and shooting a picture through the loupe to get it larger.

judy and Ladybranch like this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I agree with the GF something. I took the liberty of editing the pic. By turning it 90 degrees to the right I can see the "gt" in lower case with something after it. This is over something like a flower or a dog paw.

--- Susan

necklace-combo.jpg

judy and tie.dye.cat like this.
  5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

6. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to re-visit this one I think. I am out of town with a sketchy wifi connection. Tried to upload a pic of the whole necklace but it was too big...working off an iPad right now so I'll check back in

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  7. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

That last post got cut off. I'll try a pic with the loupe (haven't tried that before) when I get back. Thanks for your input!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  8. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

OK, I am back with additional pics if anyone is still interested. The whole necklace (30" long) and a close up of the mark next to the Krementz name. Is this the 'umbrella' mark I have read of? Thanks again!
    IMG_2224.JPG IMG_2239.JPG

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  9. tie.dye.cat

I see "Ste" on top, then an indistinguishable shape, and then "K7" underneath.

Here is a chain similar to yours on pinterest. I tried to click through to the actual listing on rubylane, but it's not there anymore.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/387028161699943221/

It claims that this type of clasp that is on your necklace was used by Krementz in the 1940's. It also mentions a manufacturer's mark (/74) on the clasp, so maybe that is what is on your clasp.

kyratango likes this.
  10. tie.dye.cat

11. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

Thank you t.d.c.! I thought I was seeing 'ste' also but couldn't find any mark like that online. I thought the part in the middle might be an open umbrella but couldn't make out what was beneath that. I wonder if I send a pic of the mark to illusionjewels if they could help out? Thanks again!

kyratango and tie.dye.cat like this.
  12. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

C7D00F1C-A68D-4DC1-9814-8DC46BF6AC21.jpeg 595F98D0-F1BB-46BD-97B4-099D46455667.jpeg BEE75F7F-9F2A-471B-925D-0F598F04F420.jpeg D5915C38-DA19-45F2-A3DF-2C720BC9F2CC.jpeg C4C714D4-CC9C-4854-A884-EEC462369152.jpeg B900A26F-6F01-4C23-9D1B-2FE16B63D603.jpeg Did you find something new about the mark? I have a chain with the same, I believe not solid. The pendant is 14k but probably not Krementz.

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yep. Krementz did eventually make 14k items, but not that pendant (it looks like tourmaline from here). The chain is 70s costume into very early 80s. The OP's is straight out of the 80s from the look of it.

kyratango likes this.
  14. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if the mark on the right could mean sterling with a 7K gold wash?

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I don't think they ever did sterling, but I've seen that mark before. It's on a lot of Krementz from that period.

Draft saved Draft deleted