Help to decipher Chinese silver marks please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Oct 31, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Silver ring with 375 gold accents on the prongs. Do these marks tell me anything other than the metal purity?
    Is one a date or makers mark?
    I have googled and got bogged down in pages of conflicting information!.
    It doesn’t look particularly well made- black marks that don’t seem to want to polish off although I haven’t tried hard yet. Unsure what the stone is but not glass.
    I don’t want to scrap without knowing more about it but is there a scrap value when a small amount of gold gold is mixed with silver or not?.
    375 mark looks like a Swallow
    925 is a birds head and jellyfish like Chinese characters!
    Thankyou for looking
    FACEE299-9F89-44FD-AEA9-344F1733E5D7.jpeg 6FE21D81-F6C7-4472-A929-CF1CE2669036.jpeg 2E1DDF48-3F9A-47D5-A557-F31A19983B0E.jpeg 9DE9E53E-CBDA-4707-AAED-2B3E2E50A28F.jpeg E4804EDB-2ECE-4CDB-88D5-38C16F8C0C62.jpeg D0704CDE-D6FD-4DFE-B35D-529D3EE3D4C1.jpeg 61FF9FCE-576E-4215-BA5A-84CF9F217FE0.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I recal somewhere the bird Sterling 925 mark and the gold 375 Swallow were Portugese

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

4. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

So the Swallow and birds head are for Porto 1985-2015.
    What I can’t see is - are these marks likely applied to a Chinese ring stamped on import?

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

What does Mary Contrary say about the stone? Do you see a lot of color in it when you hold it in sunlight?

7. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

The Chinese characters, may be Macau Portuguese territory until 1999.

Or if they are Jellyfish they might be The Azores which I know has tons of jellyfish.

aaroncab and KSW like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see any Chinese characters or a jellyfish. Are you talking about the punch between the 2 Portuguese? Looks like 2 pointy topped mountains or buildings?

Any Jewelry and KSW like this.
  9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Yes, the centre stamp. Your description is far more eloquent!

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

She says Goshenite ( is that CZ? ) or tourmaline but although it was nice if her to narrow it down to two she is usually pretty vague!
    Sunlight?!. Nothing but pouring rain, dark skies and wind for days now. It is very sparkly though.

11. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Goshenite is beryl

patd8643 and KSW like this.
  12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have found CZs test in a variety of ranges based on their quality. Low quality can test as glass, I had a high quality CZ that teated as topaz. This may be a piece you have to have a jeweler test if you want an answer.

KSW likes this.
  13. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't see a Chinese mark either. Looks like a maker's mark.
    Not sure Macao would have used Portuguese marks anyway, our colonies never used Dutch marks.

Bakersgma and KSW like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted