Help to ID Antique/Vintage Chinese Dragon Pot/Planter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by CJF, Nov 18, 2019.

1. CJF

CJF Active Member

Hi,
    Need some help with this piece of pottery.
    It is handmade, with a fabulous applied dragon.
    Measures 7 3/4" tall x 8" wide.
    No markings.
    Anyone know who made it?
    Any info. would be appreciated.

upload_2019-11-18_12-45-54.jpeg Pottery ceramics 1180.jpg Pottery ceramics 1181.jpg Pottery ceramics 1183.jpg Pottery ceramics 1184.jpg

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Puppy is sooooo CUTE! ! !

My Guess would be current Asian import. If it were older the inside would be done a lot nicer and probably in the same mustard color as the outside. Also note how sloppy the brown on the inside is applied.

Still a nice decorative jardiniere.

komokwa likes this.
  3. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Majolica, last quarter 19thc. Not oriental IMO, my guess would be European.

4. CJF

CJF Active Member

How sure are you that it is a piece of antique Majolica?

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

IDK Blooey,that inside bottom sure looks Asian import to me ?

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I rather thought the same thing. The wide ring on the bottom also seems out of character for an older piece but...
    Don

7. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Of course no-one can be absolutely sure about anything from a photograph, however, those winged shield devices are not in any way oriental and those "bamboo" linking rings around the rim I find to be pretty odd too ...to me, that puts the piece into the realm of orientalism, therefore not oriental.

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The other possibility is that it could be an unmarked piece of Japanese Awaji majolica ..some of the Awaji productions did "stretch" the stylistic limits of a given style and were known to produce European-ish mish-mash designs ..

If Awaji though, roughly the same period, late 19th or early 20thc.

shallow_ocean_spectre and dgbjwc like this.
  9. shallow_ocean_spectre

shallow_ocean_spectre fine.books' bumping squirrel

Through the eyes of an absolute amateur, the sheer height of the relief, the decorative style, and the fretworked decoration sure seem to recall 1890s Burmantofts Majolica.

blooey likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I love Burmantofts, been more than 20 years since I had any though ..pretty scarce in Canada these days!

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
  11. CJF

CJF Active Member

Thank-you blooey and shallow-ocean-spectre for all the very interesting information. It will give me a place to start some intense research. Not at all familiar with Burmantofts...always open to learning new things!

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, European made.

shallow_ocean_spectre likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted