Help to Read Markings

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Any help as to what the writing on the base of this statue lady.jpg lady1.jpg lady2.jpg lady3.jpg lady4.jpg lady5.jpg says will be greatly appreciated.

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is in French, Jacqueline de something, 1401-1436. 'Fille de' means daughter of, but maybe someone can tweak the photo so we can read all of it?
    It looks like a replica of a 15th century carving, very nice.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  3. Any Jewelry

I tried, but the handwriting is not very legible, Jacqueline de Ba(something) 1401-1436, fille de Guillaume du Bail(something)? Baileu....?
    Maybe someone else can make more of it.
    At least we know Jacqueline was the daughter of Guillaume.;)

upload_2021-10-19_13-18-27.jpeg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

The name on it is Jacqueline de Baviere, countess of Holland. it's the wording after her name that has me stumped.

5. Any Jewelry

Ah, that creates a picture for me. I am Dutch, so I have to delve deep into the memory of my history lessons.;)

We call her Jacoba, she was the daughter of the Dutch count William VI, Guillaume 6 on your statue. He was William II of Bavaria though, so the person who wrote it got his numbers and regions mixed up. That probably confused you.

After William died, Jacoba/Jacqueline was his rightful heir, but her uncle wanted to get his grubby hands on her inheritance. After all, she was only a woman.:rolleyes: But she was a smart woman, and married several times with men who could defend her rights. This turned into successive conflicts between Holland and other parts of Europe.
    In the end she was left with only part of her inheritance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    Bakersgma likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

moreotherstuff likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Her mother was Margret of Burgundy, so that's the remainder of the inscription

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I am seeing circular saw marks, perpendicular to the grain. I also believe the writing is with a ball point pen. I would say not particularly old. Very well done from a carving standpoint.

9. Any Jewelry

My guess is 1960s.

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted