Help tracing information on Vase possibly Wild and Adams Longton

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by craig leach, Jul 22, 2019.

1. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Hi all after a bit of help if possible, I have a vase that has markings on the base that are W&A L think it refers to wild and Adams longton I have hit a bit of a brick wall with anything after this as much of which I am finding relates to a predecessor to Royal Doulton but the markings appear to be different or to it being an import. Any help offered will be greatly received. Thanks in advance Craig

Attached Files:

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

3D8E523A-F862-4C99-9BD2-E88D2FBDF202.jpeg D61FBE42-F5C5-4D1A-B908-DB87F5E87C3A.jpeg The Full Image button is here. :)

sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  3. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Thank you I will upload the next images full size

i need help likes this.
  4. craig leach

craig leach New Member

C3D9B3C8-B9DA-449B-8AAC-A371521AD13D.jpeg 9FE99F2B-C7D7-46C3-8DB2-E7351DA3DDDE.jpeg

These are the photos of the vase in question.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. i need help

6. craig leach

craig leach New Member

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Is that from the worthvalue site? if so that is the same I came across earlier. it is ever so slightly different and this one from a an old thread has one that is exact shape and details bar the difference of images colour etc the thread mentions Czechoslovakia and through to Ireland

Attached Files:

9. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Ive just compared the vase to the image you have posted and apart from colours and image is identical the mark is completely different though. this is what is confusing me. Even the wear on the base is the same

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

did you look up the mark on thepotteries.org? Many potteries used different marks at different times. Vases look identical except for the decoration.

11. craig leach

craig leach New Member

they are indeed and droplets/decorations are there only difference is colour/image and the mark. I've just searched on there and nothings coming up, Thank you though

12. i need help

13. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Thanks just found a site with free access to the journal wild and adams are listed as potters 1904 cant see the knot mark link to them though but will have another search through the text

i need help likes this.
  14. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Here are the marks shown in Godden's book of marks and as mentioned, doesn't show your mark but does mention marks with initials.

The Worthpoint listing does have the pottery name of Wild and Adams so if the same body, at least you know it "might" be by them.
    img20190722_180204.jpg

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  15. craig leach

craig leach New Member

Thanks it’s interesting to see the bottom two marks I’ve seen on various sites and also on the one shown on worthpoint so I definitely think wilds & Adams’s are the potters. just to find out about them now. And try and date this piece.

16. i need help

17. craig leach

craig leach New Member

i need help likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd say Irish. Them is shamrocks, sort of. It's not a Wild and Adams mark, nor is it their style.

19. craig leach

craig leach New Member

from my research this morning it appears they may be Czechoslovakian. The marks are not present in any documents as relating to Wild and Adams.

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Says Made in Ireland though. Of that period, it would say Czech or Czecho-Slovakia or some variant. It's 1920s/30s with that air brush work.

Draft saved Draft deleted