Help! Unusual Brass Dallah Set

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Rebecca Scheffler, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Rebecca Scheffler

Rebecca Scheffler New Member

So I found this at a furniture/antique store in South Carolina, I know it is a Dallah. All of the pieces match except for the porcelain cup inserts, which I do not believe to be original to the set. Someone has removed almost all of the stones but I plan to have new ones set in it soon.

I have seen my share of Dallahs online, but none like this one. Especially because it has feet, I have seen no others with feet. Perhaps it is a European/US reproduction?

Also, I know I shouldn't polish it - but I display all of my antiques and have no desire to sell them. They just bring me joy :)

Any ideas on the age and/or possible origin. I have not found any makers marks on any of the pieces.

Attached Files:

Messilane likes this.
  2. Rebecca Scheffler

Second Picture - Full Set!

Attached Files:

Messilane likes this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I have no help, but thanks for inspiring me to learn what a dallah is!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice set. Certainly older and different than much of the dallahs what we see. Can't help with origin but see how you might think this Western as opposed to being from the Islamic countries. The decoration is typically Islamic but those feet and the way the patterns are pressed is typically Western. A bit of a puzzle and too bad that it is not marked.

5. Rebecca Scheffler

Haha, that's okay! I had no idea what a dallah was either until after I purchased this set! I saw it one day, at a shop which is an hour from my house. I wasn't willing to pay the price they wanted for it and I left without it.

I went back once a year for three years and asked them to haggle, they wouldn't budge. I went back one more time resigned to pay the full amount because I have wanted it for so long, it wasn't in its usual spot so I assumed it was sold. I was so crest fallen, then I found it inside an old china hutch. They also dropped the price for me!

They didn't know what it was but luckily I have a good friend who is Arabic and he filled me in on the details.

6. Rebecca Scheffler

Thank you! I collect mostly early 1900s silverplate tableware. So the feet stick out as so obviously out of place - especially after researching dallahs online.

Ill try to upload a picture or two of the remaining stones on the pieces, do you think identifying the stones could help me in my hunt for the history behind it?

It will really be stunning once I get new stones set back in place. It will be covered!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Going to get glass "stones" or some agates? The original bits might have been lapis, depending on where this came from. Judaica turns up here regularly; Islamic pieces are a lot rarer.

8. Rebecca Scheffler

9. Rebecca Scheffler

I haven't decided on what kind of stones to get yet, mostly because I am unsure where to start with finding someone to replace them. I would like to follow the current colors present - which would be basically orange and blue.

Not sure what kind of stones (or if they are glass) are present. Only 4 remain. 3 on the dallah and one on the base of one of the cup holders.

How do you identify Judacia vs Islamic? What distinguishing marks or style differences give it away?

Thanks again for everyone's input and comments!

10. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

It does look very different than other dallahs I've seen, or the ones my Mom collected overseas.
    However, I think the cups show the insignia of a palm tree with crossed swords, and that is the emblem of Saudi Arabia.
    Doesn't mean it was made there of course, but it may be significant.

11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I found two sets of cups, one on etsy, and the other on ebay; neither described the origin accurately ( the etsy one called it a Japanese tea set).
    However, I am struck by the similarity in the shape of the cups, as well as the Saudi insignia:
    Etsy japanes tea set.jpg

ebay cup.jpg

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

good call on the cups....but they may be more recent replacements.....
    just sayin...
    "How do you identify Judacia vs Islamic? What distinguishing marks or style differences give it away?"

The upturned crescent with all those stars....vs....the Star of David.
    Is a good start !