HELP w/ARTIST NAME ON BEAUTIFUL PAINTING - REMINDS ME OF A YES/MOODY BLUES ALBUM COVER!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 2, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this from a friend's antique shop. She bought out a estate from the artist, so she knew the first name is Esther, but I can't make out last name (most only have initials on the paintings but mine has her full signature on back). I'd lie to find out if she was known/listed.
    My first thought when I saw it was of old Moody Blues & Yes album covers!
    Thank you for any help.
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 1AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 1AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 2AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 4AAA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING ANTIQUE SHOP PAINTING FIND 4AA.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2018-5-2_8-33-39.png
    The painted signature looks to me like E. Gi_____, but this one seems to be Gav___, Gau__ Would guess Gavner, except not sure the end looks like the 'er' at the end of Esther.

3. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

I would guess the last name to be Yavneh.
    The first name as Looks different on painting and back.

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here's the one on the painting, inversed, looks like 1955 to me......but that's an awful lot of crazing for that new, so the 9 could be an 8.......a nice kind of 'ethereal' painting!!:):) Interesting that it was printed ON the painting but signed in cursive on the back......unless someone signed it FOR her on the back.......???

zSHOP PAINTING FINDzz.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2018
    Huntingtreasure likes this.
  5. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

The image Aquitaine posted above says "Esther Y" and I agree with Huntingtreasure the signature on the back looks like Esther Yavneh to me, too. I found an Esther Yavneh in a 1950 (NY?) YEARBOOK, but it says nothing about an interest in or talent for art.

Aquitaine and Huntingtreasure like this.
  6. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Great lead Morgen,
    Many people from NY retire to Journey’s state. (Assuming she never married) it makes sense.
    The framer is from Fla.

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

maybe so much crazing because it is painted on board?
    Thanks all!

8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Now I'm going to hear Nights in White Satin in my head!

Draft saved Draft deleted