Featured Help w/Etched Name on Glass Vase - Has Mother of Pearl/Frosted like Glass?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by journeymagazine, Jun 15, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I bought this at a local thrift store today for $40 - mainly because of the handles w/lion heads & it has a signature etched on the bottom.
    It has a ...texture to it - like a mother of pearl shimmer but it feels rougher than smooth.
    Can someone make out the artist's name? I know it's not very clear but I took several pics trying to get a better view for you.
    Also any thoughts on it - it's got a heavy feel to it; does it have a look that I can sell it for the $40 I paid or even more?
    Thanks for any help!

art glass vase glass lion handles 1aa.JPG ART GLASS VASE GLASS LION HANDLES 2AA.JPG ART GLASS VASE GLASS LION HANDLES 2AAA.JPG ART GLASS VASE GLASS LION HANDLES 3AA.JPG ART GLASS VASE GLASS LION HANDLES 3AAA.JPG ART GLASS VASE GLASS LION HANDLES 3AAAA.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Alfrida?

Bronwen likes this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Just playing around:

sig06.jpg

Bronwen likes this.
  4. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I saw the R. & the Y at the end - was hoping it was a known artist with a name someone recognized.
    Is $40 a fair price to ask for it? (I'm happy if I break even - I don't know art glass and took a gamble it was by a known artist)

Bronwen likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Scavo finish.

aaroncab, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  6. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The shape resembles an ancient amphora.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, and there's a fair few artists who do this kind of "Roman/Greek" style, notably LaFiore on Mallorca.

8. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Reminds me of scavo pieces by Gambaro & Poggi of Murano, but the signature doesn't appear to match.

Draft saved Draft deleted