Help w/Signature - Looks like a alien holding man - friend paid me $250 for it before I left store!

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 24, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at the 2nd thrift store I went to yesterday; I saw it in the worker's hand as he came out to put it on the shelf & I asked if I could have it - instead of following him to the shelf to take it - and he gave it to me.
    I thought it was something & I'm not sure why, but then a guy I know who has bought paintings from me before that he resells came up and asked me about it.
    I told him it's dated 1964 and looks like Peter Dewil is the signature but I wasn't sure.
    He said he'd give me $250 for it - before I even paid for it - and I agreed; with the stipulation that if it turns out to be worth $1,000 or more we will split it (minus the $250). He agreed & I sold it to him right there.
    The guy has spent $100s ($900 one day if I remember right) with me at my house before on some of my paintings & I believe he will split it if it turns out to be a home run.
    I told him I knew where to find out about it, took some photos & here I am!

If it turns out to be a winner I still get half & if it's not I made a quick $250 (he will be able to get that at least - in person it is something - even though so different.

Any idea of signature - and thoughts on the painting?

Thank you!

ART PAINTING 1964 ALIENS WRESTLING 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING 1964 ALIENS WRESTLING 1AAA.jpg ART PAINTING 1964 ALIENS WRESTLING 4AA.jpg

wlwhittier likes this.
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Can't help but think you got a good deal. But wait for other replies.

kyratango likes this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

What do we get if it turns out to be something special?

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

same thing u get if it doesn't !;)

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I hope your friend knows what he's doing. Congrats on the sale.

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The same exact thing happened to me in a thrift. 12 years ago or so I grabbed what I thought was an an interesting looking painting ($11) at Goodwill, purchased and left the store. A customer who had seen me buy it waited for me in the parking lot and offered me $50 for it. I politely declined since I wanted to research further, etc.

Well, I couldn't even get $30 out of that painting in the end. (And pretty sure I posted it here or on Ebay boards for ID, too.)

Different story though! Back to Journey. Can't help with that signature, guessing you don't have any better pics of the sig??

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

My Amigo Journey-You travel with a wild bunch of pickers down in Florida.Next time you see these high-rollers flash some Pyrex at 'em.
    These guys have some resources$$ !...as opposed to me agonizing over some $2 tile:arghh:

NanaB, mirana and Lucille.b like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Cecil Dearl? Or Cecil D. Earl?

Lucille.b likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Neither came up for artist, but thanks I need help!

i need help likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

-and help and attention's what you'll get here.
    Hey,how's your Sale going-looked like you put together a good ad for it ?

Draft saved Draft deleted