HELP w/SIGNATURE - PAINTED ON BACK OF COOL, LARGE GIRL SCOUTS PROPAGANDA POSTER?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 29, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this painting today while thrift store hunting & liked it immediately - I just couldn't figure out the signature.
    BUT! When I looked at the back to see what kind of board it was, I saw what I first thought was a Russian propaganda poster but then realized it was the Girl Scouts. It is very cool with the girl scout uniforms representing (I'm guessing here but think it's so) the Army, Navy & Air Force + a young girl in front in a brown Brownie's uniform that makes you think of the Marines!
    With the flags flying high & the lines of soldiers - oops, girl scouts; doesn't it have a cold war propaganda feel to it?
    Can someone tell me who the artist is?
    Is the back poster worth more than the painting?
    Thanks, I appreciate any help.
    AA ART PAINTING HAITIAN GIRL SCOUTS BACKING 1AA.jpg AA ART PAINTING HAITIAN GIRL SCOUTS BACKING 1AAA (2).jpg AA ART PAINTING HAITIAN GIRL SCOUTS BACKING 2AA.jpg AA ART PAINTING HAITIAN GIRL SCOUTS BACKING 3AA_.jpg AA ART PAINTING HAITIAN GIRL SCOUTS BACKING 3AAA_.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Personally,though I love the beach scene,Id think the girl scout side would be more saleable ! Very cool.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's a WWII patriotic image for sure. It may have been a maquette for advertising; with those heavy black lines it was definitely designed to be reproduced.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call this "propaganda" at all. The Brownie uniform has always been brown, the regular Girl Scout uniform has always been green. The one in blue is a Mariner Scout (the girl's equivalent of the Sea Scouts in Boy Scouts and started in 1934) and the one in a more tailored green uniform is a Senior Scout - for High School age girls.

aaroncab, judy and silverthwait like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There was a "Wing Scout" program, started in 1941 and ended in the 70's, but I was unable to find a picture of a specific uniform version for the program. Note that Girl Scouts could earn an Aviation badge beginning in 1916.

6. journeymagazine

it is propaganda - but that doesn't make it a bad thing!
    Any idea on artist's name?
    Thank you!

7. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

8. journeymagazine

9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I think the scouting print might be an easier sale than the painting and possibly might go for more.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    judy and i need help like this.
  10. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Unless you can get that out of the frame you might be sitting on that for awhile.

11. journeymagazine

just a bunch of old nails bent over

Draft saved Draft deleted