Help w/Signature & thoughts on BIG (5ft x 4ft) Chinese painting of men roping horse

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Dec 2, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I started to buy a beautiful set of carved wood architectural figural caryatids for $500 at a thrift store today - so instead I bought a 9 piece Russell Woodard spun fiberglass patio set in excellent condition - and a big, beautiful (to me!) Chinese painting of 2 men roping a horse.
    The painting is on wood & BIG (4ft x 5ft!) and is signed.
    Can anyone tell who the artist's name is (or hopefully who they are - because they are well known?!)
    Thoughts on the painting - I paid $150 for it?
    Also here is the Woodard 9 piece set that I've sold before here in Miami that I paid $400 for - and should at least double my money.

Was this a better deal than the caryatids (I know it was safer, but those figures were beautiful!)?

Thanks for any information on the painting!

ART PAINTING CHINESE LARGE 5 X 4 HORSES 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING CHINESE LARGE 5 X 4 HORSES 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING CHINESE LARGE 5 X 4 HORSES 4AA.JPG

Here is the Woodard spun fiber patio set below

FURNITURE CHAIR FIBERGLASS SPUN RUSSELL WOODARD SET 1AA.JPG FURNITURE CHAIR FIBERGLASS SPUN RUSSELL WOODARD SET 1AAA.JPG

Houseful and judy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I think yours was influenced by an image called Tribute Horses from the Yuan dynasty. Yours is a copy of that image, I think. Not 100% sure yours is a painting, looks more like a watercolor if it is.

4. journeymagazine

Looks like it - except that one is only 27 inches and mine is painted - I think; it feels dusty/chalky - could it be pastel? But with a magnifying glass I can see/feel it's painted - especially with any build up of paint

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
  5. journeymagazine

What kind of paint feels..chalky or dusty? I know it's not oil or enamel - would watercolor feel like that? It would help me sell it to be able to say what it is.
    Thanks.

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

From your description: pastel

7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

If it’s pastel chalk it would need to be covered with glass! that would come off on your hands when touched.
    If it’s oil pastel it would feel greasy. Gouache can feel chalky but again would need to be glazed.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  8. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

wiscbirddog likes this.
  9. journeymagazine

I know and I apologize - I paid a guy who hangs out at the thrift store to deliver large sales and when he brought it to my house he helped me hang it on the wall because it is Heavy- so much I didn't want to try to take it down - and wrestle it back up - to photograph the back. I'm sorry - maybe someone will come by my estate/garage sale & I'll get them to help me bring it down & replace it after I take a photo of the back.

Houseful likes this.
  10. journeymagazine

Isn't a watercolor a painting? Would someone paint a watercolor on wood?
    Thanks Lithographer

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Yes a watercolor is a painting and best done on paper although it can be used on other surfaces including wood. Looks like it could be gouache. Pastel will rub off immediately.

Draft saved Draft deleted