Featured Help w/Today's Thrift Store Finds; Vintage Chagall litho(?) Serigraph(?) + a BIG Amtique Ship tapest

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 7, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these today hunting a thrift store. The Chagall looks old (where it is out of place you can see some foxing/darkness along the edges - this is from age, correct?

Also, what is it? There are no pixels when looked at with a magnifying glass - litho? serigraph?

The 2nd piece is a old tapestry in poor condition with a ship/clipper on it. It's large - 50"W x 60T (with the loops) - how old is this? Does it have any value in it's condition?

Thank you for any help.

PS - I also found a Collector's Guild Salvador Dali etching - El Cid - it was a good day to treasure hunt a thrift store!

ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS 1AA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS 2CAA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS 3AAAA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS 4AA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 1AA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 2AA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 3AA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 3AAA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 4AA.JPG ART TAPESTRY SHIP 5AA.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Back of tapestry

ART TAPESTRY SHIP 6AA.JPG

The DALI Etching

ART PRINT DALI EL CID ETCHING 1AA.JPG ART PRINT DALI EL CID ETCHING 2AA_AA.JPG ART PRINT DALI EL CID ETCHING 5AA.JPG ART PRINT DALI EL CID ETCHING 5AAA.JPG

3. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

That is an interesting find!
    The Chagall if authentic could be an original lithograph. Try to take the Chagall out of its frame and see the boarders for any limited edition numbering and also the back of the print. Also try to search on the internet for any
    online Catalogue raisonné of his works . Do the same for Dali etching.

The thing is ,the prints of these two artists as well as Picasso have been the target of enterprising forgers in the last century. Hence consider it a project to verify their authenticity. Maybe that is why potential works and prints by these famous artists have been referred to as 'headache art' :)..Before taking it to somewhere else try to do you your homework first to make a case for or against your prints.

One more thing for Dali prints there is one good tip that David Rudd Cycleback suggests to check, in his freely downloadable pdf book entitled "antique and art prints" (first on the list)from the webpage below. Check page 87 of the pdf book for the tip on Dali

www.cycleback.com

Good luck

TTA

4. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

The Dali is a collectors guild print, I have a couple Dali etchings from them. They sell online quite often. I suspect the Chagall might be from them too.

pearlsnblume, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  5. journeymagazine

Thanks! I was going to take the Chagall out this weekend because it's already loose - I'll take photo of the back

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  6. journeymagazine

Here are photos - back is darker; it's been against the cardboard backing for a while + there was dried out yellow tape that did hold the piece before.
    But there is 1 funny thing - the paper feels kind of rough(?) but when I felt the colors they felt different; smooth? Plus, I can even feel where the color starts! There is a little rise like you would feel if it was a painting?
    Could it be a painting? My thought was it's a silk screen where paint/ink is added in layers that I felt instead of a print which would feel the same as the paper, right?
    What do I have?
    Thank you!

ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS 8CAA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS DCAA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS DCAAA.JPG ART PRINT CHAGALL MARC FLOWERS DCAAAA.JPG

LauraGarnet02, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  7. TT Antique

TT Antique Well-Known Member

So there is no visible limited edition number I presume... Because that was the norm in Chagall lithographs. To check the possibility of paint based work you check another tip by David Rudd Cycleback on Page 46 of another book "identifying common materials in antiques" which you can download in the website for free. He suggests putting the paper against a light source and seeing whether a light is blocked in some areas or not.... Hope others with experience on Chagall would give more useful ideas.
    TTA

8. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Not sure about Chagall print

9. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

10. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

When you do a multi-color lithograph you layer the colors too. Each color is on a separate stone. Silkscreen inks tend to cover up the ink underneath when you are doing a multi color print. I would go to your local library and see if you can find a catalog raisonne for Chagall and see if you can find your print in it.

anundverkaufen, judy and Lucille.b like this.
  11. journeymagazine

Thanks all
    rink28 - Kodner auction is coming Monday to pick out some things for their next auction!

12. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I'm not too far from kodner gallery in st louis!

judy likes this.
  13. journeymagazine

I can't really see through it holding it to sunlight it's kind of like a manilla envelope paper (kind of) - heavier stock than regular paper.
    To me it looks like Santa's toy bag burst open with flowers; I'll try to google Chagall Christmas flowers?

judy likes this.
  14. FishLure

FishLure FishN Ephemera

15. San Fran Phil

San Fran Phil Member

Hi Journey
    Just some feedback on your Chagall:
    This image does not appear in the catalogue raisonne for Chagall.

It is likely an "after" ...either a lithograph (perhaps offset) or a serigraph(silkscreen). I can't tell from the photos. It would likely be a reproduction of a painting.

They are also likely produced in large or unlimited editions.

These are pretty common and often sold in galleries or on cruise ship or hotel auctions.

Although foxing, mildew and paper discoloration (and paper loss, as seen on the left side) are common with older works on paper...they can also be due to improper storage or display.

These factors might include a damp environment, hanging in direct sun (although the colors look vivid), storage in a basement or attic and , I think in this case, being improperly framed in acidic matt or tape.

I have works form the 1800's in pristine condition and works form the 70's that look awful.

Cleaning the piece is easy for a professional...but an educated guess is that it would cost more than the piece is worth...way more. I would consider it to be a decorative item, pending professional assessment.

What did the auction house say?

anundverkaufen, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  16. San Fran Phil

San Fran Phil Member

PS:
    A silkscreen would you allow a slight texture change as the ink is applied, and as someone else mentioned they do layer the ink. One screen at a time.

It is unlikely paint. If there was overpainting...this is a decorative "thing" referred to as GORK...G-d Only Really Knows...a popular term in costume jewelry and, sometimes, medicine.

Ditto stone lithography, but you seldom feel the ink with this method.

FishLure and judy like this.
  17. journeymagazine

GORK - LOL!! With my taste in art I am going to remember that!
    Thank you for the information

pearlsnblume, FishLure and judy like this.
  18. FishLure

FishLure FishN Ephemera

19. FishLure

FishLure FishN Ephemera

San Francisco Phil, Last I knew you were going to get appraisal for the ship tapestry. Did you..?
    If for sale please message me asap. Thanks Alex

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2021
  20. San Fran Phil

San Fran Phil Member

Not me, I am looking for help with an Italian platter

I am new here

Elias Josefsson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted