HELP WANTED: Repairing Antique Hot Water Bottle

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Shangas, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Hey folks,

Your expertise and suggestions are appreciated.

Some time ago, I purchased what I believe is a homemade or possibly trench-art hot-water bottle. The entire thing is made out of copper which was welded or soldered together, a very, very long time ago. There's no dents, cracks or serious damage, but at the top and bottom of the bottle (it's a cylinder), there's loads of tiny little pinhole leaks.

19029315_1928282550763555_3388656086782871445_n.jpg

I really want to fix this thing and use it, but obviously if you fill it with boiling water, this becomes a serious safety risk, even if it's wrapped up in something.

18951047_1928282587430218_8279174178297289524_n.jpg

Can I use epoxy (two-part mixy-glue stuff) to seal the rims/seams on the bottle from the outside?

18921900_1928282607430216_4500132675335855298_n.jpg

I mean, I know I can. But my question is - is this solution suitable for something that's going to be holding scalding hot water for several hours? It won't weaken the glue or anything, will it?

18921954_1928282510763559_4748966924429997104_n.jpg

Thoughts & comments appreciated! Thanks.

2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

i'd solder them closed..

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I'd buy an electric blanket and leave that thing on a shelf where it belongs.

5. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Aww. I like using hot water bottles though...

judy likes this.
  6. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

What about using "Water Glass" , "Egg Keep" or Sodium Silicate

7. In For the old guy

In For the old guy Active Member

It might. It might also bring forth a few screams and profanities from the person who just discovered the consequence of allowing a too close proximity to the previous just aching part of his back where some ferocious blisters are rising.

I second the advice offered in post number 4. STRONGLY.

Bakersgma and Aquitaine like this.
  8. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Naw, I'm with Shangas - who needs all these newfangled electronic gadgets?????

If it was good enough for great-great-great-great-grampa, its good enuff fer me....................

besides, yer feets will NEVER be as warm as they will with a hot-bot.............

9. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

Do you have good health coverage? I predict serious scaldings in your future.

10. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

How thick are those end-caps? If you have enough thickness left overall, soldering would be a 'legitimate' repair, IMO. Get a look inside to see if you have active corrosion first. Learning to solder sounds like a worthwhile project in any case.

As for epoxies, my first rule is don't, (unless you just have to.) It can mean a nightmare for future restorers and collectors. (JB Weld is tempting because it'd be about the right color.)

As far as epoxies working with really hot water, I think you'd just have to try it, maybe on another item first. The longest curing time you can manage would likely be best.

I'd like to know what the can really was. It does have a gunpowdery look to me. Does any know?

11. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

This thing is probably going to give you first or second degree burns if you get the water hot enough and it won't last very long. I doubt this is a hot water bottle that you'd take to bed. The metal ones were usually round or oval and used on the floor of the buggy to keep your shod feet warm. Unless you're planning some buggy rides during the winter, I'd leave it as is and decorate with it.