Featured Help with 2 Japanese painted panels.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

These are hand painted on gold paper. Each one has the same signature. I looked on two sites but those seem to have signatures of antique pieces and I think this is mid century or maybe just slightly earlier. 36" x 19". These were not part of a screen. The backs are lined with decorated rice paper. Any suggestions where I could research the signature and the red mark or does someone recognize it? Thank you.

P1340351PS1_edited-1.jpg P1340353ps1rd.jpg P1340354image 2_edited-1.jpg P1340356bd.jpg P1340349.jpg

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would see if I could match the birds (probably quail) to other artworks online. It may have been the artists ‘thing’ to include. I’ve not been able to ID some Chinese paintings I have just by the signature and seals, i find it confusing so I’ve tried to look more at the style, colours used and subject matter initially before focusing on the signatures and seal. I do think these are lovely btw.

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. DavidC

DavidC Member

Hello
    The seal (Red bit), is illegible and I don't think the other two characters, (Black Bit), say much either. The frame looks quite new although that doesn't reflect on the age of the work enclosed. If you feel that you have something special please stick it on the Asian art forum and they will tell you what it is. They won't tell you what is worth. Good luck.
    Link....
    http://www.asianart.com/phpforum/index.php

5. Mill Cove Treasures

Thank you for the link, I appreciate it and will check it out.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted