Featured Help with 2 pieces of porcelain Pls?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

This first one, well, it's kind of weird to me. I think it is a mustache cup, but with that decoration? and in pink no less? What man would drink from it? So, is it something else? Like a child's cup, you know, Victorian era sippie cup? Not marked but I think it's German. It measures 3 1/4" high and 2 3/4" in diameter. Not a real big cup.

DSCF9640.jpg DSCF9642.jpg DSCF9643.jpg

The 2nd item is too pretty. THe pink is very strong. It's a round plate 7 3/4" in diameter with what looks like a small demi cup and a small open sugar. The plate has a place for a napkin??? What do you think its original purpose was? I'm thinking maybe individual tea or coffee service with a space for one napkin. What do you think???

DSCF9636.jpg
    DSCF9637.jpg

DSCF9639.jpg

2. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

I think the 'napkin holder' is for a piece of toast. I don't think the bowl is an open sugar as there is no matching creamer...it may be for jam for the toast?

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Toast is a great idea. I think there might be some missing pieces to this set.

4. jakatch

jakatch Active Member

This is a complete individual breakfast set with a large tea cup. I can't remember the measurements on this and didn't save that info...the plate was about 10" in diameter P1010108.jpg .

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could the little bowl be for fruit/berries?

6. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

The first piece is a ladies shaving mug, aka scuttle mug.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Figtree3 likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What are the measurements on that cup ? I love the color.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks!! I've never heard of a scuttle mug. Ladies shaving, hmmnn, you mean for legs right? Not face. I'll go look it up.

The measurements are up there. The color is great, very sweet. The lady loved pink and I bought several lots of her shelves. Wish you all could have seen it, but here's some of it.

934c077213730a46d094f229f16c4b5a.jpeg

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

jakatch, thanks so much for your help and the photo. Wish I had the rest of the set. But the color is so fantastically PINK that it's nice just to look at.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I meant the cup with the breakfast set,I should have specified. :)

judy likes this.
  11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Ola, why don't you see if @TallCakes can help you with your pink glass pieces that you have in the PGP on eBay?

12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is classified as a scuttle. Rather a shaving mug. I could be wrong, but I have always thought a scuttle had a spot on the side to hold the brush.

I also do not believe that ladies in the 1900s shaved their legs. No reason to, as the skirts were long.

I think this is simply a shaving mug. Many shaving mugs had floral designs. Good chance it is German in origin which would explain the pink.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ant..._rLWAhVFRCYKHQ-lAjkQ_AUICygC&biw=1377&bih=920

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted