Featured Help with a badly damaged oil painting with a painting beneath?

Discussion in 'Art' started by MrD, May 29, 2020.

1. MrD

MrD Member

19877214-EFFB-405B-A5A8-F8557421D1B3.jpeg 5D6F220B-374C-47AF-9197-938C8D51CD5E.jpeg 44325A67-756F-458B-A858-AA71DFD536BB.jpeg 06A222AD-CFEF-4C2B-8A94-3BB96BC3EA51.jpeg Hi All, I picked this painting up for free, I liked the painting & also the frame, I was just gone to give it an amateur clean and daub a bit of similar colour oil over the missing paint but the vivid colours of the painting underneath have got me intrigued, I may attempt to flake off the top painting, can you tell if the painting is in anyway valuable & can you tell by the frame/canvas if the painting underneath could be much older or would it just be one of the artists previous paintings?

Many thanks.

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is Polish, in case you were wondering.:)

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Most likely one of the artist's previous paintings that he didn't like so he painted over it. No way to tell without removing the over-paint, but it's not such an appealing painting to lose. If you decide to put the work in to remove it, please show and tell how it goes! ;)

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Could be as anti said. The artist painted over one of his own paintings.

Or
    Here in my area we have a lot of artists who buy old paintings at the thrift store for a few dollars and use those canvases for their art.

5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you like the painting, I wouldn't flake it off.
    The one underneath might be a masterpiece, but more than likely you won't like it, like the one that you destroy.
    If you don't care, you have nothing to loose.

6. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

The only non-destructive way you can really tell what's underneath is to use the various imaging techniques used by museums and artwork appraisal techniques. However, you may not have accessibility to the various X-Ray and Imaging Spectroscopy techniques required.

If you are in a position to do so, enquire with some professionals and see if such services might be available to you and if so, at what cost. You can decide whether or not you consider it worthwhile. If the services can be given freely, you have nothing to lose. Otherwise, it will be a gamble of your expenditure over potential gain.

All that aside, 'flaking off' the top layer may simply not be a viable option, as the top layer may be bonded to the underlayer in places, and flaking it off may ended up damaging the painting underneath, spoiling the painting and potential value, should it actually be worth anything. There are proper methods for removing the top layer of paint from such multi-layered painting.

antidiem, Bakersgma, Fid and 4 others like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That art by the yard painting on top is no loss, no matter what. I'd look up ways to chuck that part off of there and see if you luck out.

antidiem and judy like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@MrD, Looking at the back of that canvas, especially in the one corner, and those metal 'clips'(?) holding the canvas? makes me wonder how carefully the canvas was prepared/stretched....leading to wondering about the reason for the flaking or just the thickness of the flaking paint. Nevertheless, I tend to like the winter scene! Is the coloring actually that "yellowish/blue-ish" or just photographing in a dark-ish room?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  9. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think the winter painting is lovely, would be a pity to flake it off and find something not so nice beneath

10. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

Art Analysis & Research newsletter@artanalysis.com

17th-21st of December 2018
    HYPERSPECTRAL IMAGING
    in New York

Hyperspectral imaging is available New York between
    17th and 21st of December.

This imaging technique provides high-resolution images of underdrawings, hidden signatures and lost text.

Hyperspectral image reconstructed from the data between 900-1700 nm. Painting: Private collection

What is Hyperspectral Imaging?
    Normal photos have three colors: red, green and blue. This type of information is called RGB. Likewise, the human eye has only 3 different cell types that can detect the colors (one for each RGB). Hyperspectral cameras can detect hundreds of different colors.

Hyperspectral cameras combined with innovative data processing provide information on artworks, underdrawings, lost signatures and vanished texts.

Display the Hidden Side of Your Collection
    There is more to a work of art than the eye can see. Hyperspectral imaging provides a unique opportunity to bring the artwork to life for collectors. Showing them a view of the artist’s creative process provides an unforgettable connection to the artwork.

Two paintings for the price of one?
    How nice would it be to sell two paintings to a customer? This landscape painting had a portrait of a handsome gentleman hiding underneath. Both paintings were signed by the same artist. Talk about a conversation piece! ei.png

Our imaging solutions allows you to see the artistic process, underdrawings, abandoned compositions, changes in the original composition and hidden signatures from the artworks.
    Contact us for details
    Parties interested in hyperspectral imaging, other technical imaging solutions or material analysis should contact us to discuss how we often reveal hidden secrets and unlock unrealized value.
    Nica Gutman Rieppi, Principal Investigator
    nyoffice@artanalysisresearch.com
    Who Are We
    Art Analysis & Research is the leading provider of scientific testing to the fine art market. Our clients include top auction houses, artist foundations, museums and galleries. We have analyzed some of the world’s most important and expensive works of art, including 2 of the "10 Old Master Works that Changed the Art Market" Sold by Christie's in the Last 250 Years.
    Art Analysis & Research

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    kyratango and antidiem like this.
  11. antidiem

@lloyd249 , how interesting, thank you for pointing this out!

lloyd249 and kyratango like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The British TV series "Fake or Fortune" worked on a Van Dyke that had been over painted. The restorer used a scalpel to scrape away the over paint.

There are apocryphal stories of masterpieces being over painted with inconsequential images to hide them in times of unrest... and then going missing. If such a thing happened, I would guess the surface of the original was prepared in a way that would facilitate recovery.

lloyd249 and antidiem like this.
  13. antidiem

I think that could work well for this one, thanks, More.

14. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Your hands must be a lot steadier than mine.

kyratango likes this.
  15. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

I would dig deeper...... I would have to see what was under that

kyratango likes this.
  16. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

It's not just a matter of scrapping away to the top layer, a particular solution is used to first soften the top layer of paint making it easier to remove from the layer beneath.

lloyd249 and antidiem like this.
  17. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

I'd be dying out of curiosity to know what is hiding there:woot:;)
    What about scraping cautiously a little more on other areas where the actual paint is flaking? Just to have more idea of the motif. :cyclops:
    Retouches wouldn't be too difficult to cosmetically mask the removed areas if not too extensive:)
    Or send it to Julian Baumgartner the magician restaurer:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

antidiem likes this.
  19. chantaljones

chantaljones Well-Known Member

I would have peeled it of. how about this. I buy it and peel it off and share the end results on this forum.
    I dont mind a punt. The less you care about money the easier it comes :)

antidiem likes this.
  20. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It is very tempting to peel isn't it? If you went to the trouble to repair it do you like it well enough to live with it (knowing you could always peel it later)?

I picked up a painting that I that I thought I'd like if it just didn't have the little building in the landscape. I carefully painted it out and I don't think anyone could tell where it used to be. The thing is, it didn't make me actually like it better so it's been in a closet somewhere for 20 years or so. Wish it had something underneath;)

Draft saved Draft deleted