Featured Help with a Baroque Pearl Necklace with Pendant

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Thriftypicker76, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Thriftypicker76

Thriftypicker76 New Member

hi.l For the life of me I cannot identify this necklace.
    From the research that I’ve done so far the pearl seem to be baroque or ashoka pearls. Yet, what’s really getting me is the actual pendant there seems to be three hallmarks on the back of it. one which seems to be a Birmingham symbol from the UK however I’m wondering if this is sterling silver that’s been painted gold or bronze color. if anyone has any knowledge of anything about this necklace it would be greatly appreciated thank you so much

Attached Files:

kyratango, scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It appears to be a marriage -- old pendant with new findings.

Debora

KSW, scoutshouse, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, a marriage. The pearls are baroque pearls, as you thought. The pendant is an antique fob from a watch chain. If it is gold colour it could be gold. Could you show a closeup of the marks, full image please?

4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

A marriage, the pendant and wrapped beads were added to a baroque pearl necklace. The clasp on the necklace is a recent style.

judy, scoutshouse and Bronwen like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's a May-December marriage if ever there was. Those are baroque pearls and most likely Chinese freshwater. The seed pearls and clasp are recent too - within the last decade. I've used my share of them. The pendant is an old British gold watch fob, most likely. I can't see the marks but I can see a lion.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the pearls are wonderful...!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  7. Thriftypicker76

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd remove that fob, much prettier without.

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, it has no business being there. It would look nice on an old watch chain, or even on a bracelet.

10. Thriftypicker76

Yes I will remove it. I thought it looked so weird on the necklace. Any idea of what the Pearl could be worth?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not much. Chinese freshwaters don't resell for a lot. If they're on with real gold you can do OK, but craft pieces like this I generally just break up for the pearls to reuse and don't bother reselling them.

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Look at 'flameball' or 'fireball' pearls, they're kind of popular at the moment, and can be a bit pricey for what they are...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted