Help with a Large Pink Cased Satin Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Jul 12, 2014.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I found this vase recently and was immediately taken with it. Normally, I see these in small sizes but this one is really large. It measures 10" high and 6" wide at the bulbous part. It's cased pink / white satin glass with a clear satin glass crest. Does anyone know who made it and when? TIA!

vase1.jpg

vase3.jpg

2. Leah Goodwin

Leah Goodwin Member

Hi Pam. Your vase is a cheerful colour and it has a nice form. Personally, I believe this is much newer and not antique. Is there a pontil on the low footed base? and is it heavy in weight? ~just curious. Thanks, Leah :)

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Leah, there is no pontil. It looks pushed into a mold maybe, all smooth on the bottom. I don't think it's antique either, just pretty. It was with a lot of cranberry glass that I think dates to about the 1970s/80s or so, and that might be the era for this vase as well. I'm just trying to find out anything about it so that I can price it reasonably since I don't want to keep it. Doesn't go with my decor.

4. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

My initial reaction is Fenton but Nothing to support that at this time.

5. olivialouis2005

olivialouis2005 New Member

I found a couple that might give you an idea for price range. I highly doubt the Mt. Washington attribution though. I agree that it is a recently made piece, last 30 years or much less. Still very pretty.

$30.00
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/collectible-vintage-mt-washington-507599853

$42.66
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/cranberry-or-pink-satin-glass-vase-w-ruffle-top

$41.01
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/huge-fenton-pink-frosted-crest-ruffled-rim

Hope yours does as well as this one.
    $159.95
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/victorian-satin-glass-cranberry-vase-mint

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

George, I'm reasonably sure that it's not Fenton.

Olivia, thanks for the price ranges (I don't have WP). That gives me something to estimate a price. Thanks, all, for your help!

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

LOL I was far from sure that it was Fenton.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

But I do so appreciate a WAG. I almost went to look in my newer Fenton book, however. Two other pieces from this same sale turned out to be Fenton and it surprised me. Maybe because I got them so inexpensively, leading me to believe that no one else thought they were Fenton either. One had the logo (small, and the room was poorly lit) on the bottom. Around here, Fenton goes really high at auction, but not at the Antique Mall. Go figure!

9. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Beautiful piece and great photos!

10. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Italy was exporting a lot of glass to the US in the 70s.
    They copied the Burmese, etc. This could be a piece of Italian glass.

Leah Goodwin likes this.
  11. Leah Goodwin

Leah Goodwin Member

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow! That's amazing. All those pieces! Pat, you may be right about Italian glass. I recently sold a bunch of satin glass iced tea tumblers from the 1960s/70s that were made in Italy. They had the same intense satin glass color as this vase. I think that I'll just have to sell it based on its own appeal. Might be unlikely that I will ever know who made it. Or I could call it Fenton, like everyone else, LOL!

Draft saved Draft deleted