Help with a mark - is this french? silver or silverplate?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Nov 23, 2019.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I suspect this is a silverplated item, but I'm trying to figure out what I'm dealing with. Sorry I don't have a better picture right now. This is on a large teapot with an eagle head spout.

Capture.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    Capture3.JPG

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

A square punch for the maker's mark means silver plated in the French system. There should also be a numbered punch which says what number of grams of silver was used to plate a designated number of pieces.

Solid silver has the maker's mark in a diamond shaped punch.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

That's very helpful Bakersgma!

The person selling is isn't very close to me, so I've been trying to get additional photos, but it's challenging. They claim these are the only marks on three items in the set (i doubt that's the case) however I can't really coax them to snap more photos....It's so aggravating because what I want to say is "look, I know you think there aren't any other marks, but there's almost always other marks". The other two items look similar in style but I'm honestly not convinced they all belong as a set (so theoretically one could be plated and the other two could be real).

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's very nice Nate but I don't think I'd buy from them ... the buys you have shown on here are truly GORGEOUS, if they're not forthcoming with information .... wellll ... Joy. :):):)

kyratango and MrNate like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted