Help with a probably French candle holder.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Giuseppe65, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

Can someone help me with this beautiful decorated candle holder? Under the base 20200617_115547.jpg 20200617_115601.jpg 20200617_115618.jpg is marked depose and a stylized letter P.
    Thanks again

Firemandk and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I thought it was middle eastern until I saw the "depose" underneath. Can't find a JP or a PJ with my limited info but others might know.

Any Jewelry and Giuseppe65 like this.
  3. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

I wonder if it was made in France and then exported to Persia or Arab countries.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is more likely Orientalist French. Orientalism in art comes and goes, and it was highly fashionable during the mid-late 19th century.
    Contrary to the name, Orientalism often includes designs and motifs from North Africa, south of Europe.;)

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

I did some research after Any's advice. It seems very close to the Mamaluk style in vogue in France after the Napoleonic conquests. Unfortunately I was unable to find any indication on the JP monogram

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I suspect this is a later revival of the style, late 19th century perhaps?

8. Giuseppe65

Giuseppe65 Active Member

Yes, I think so too. I wonder why a poor metal has been used in an object that has such a rich decoration.